barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ok so to transmit force and distribute strain, the body uses a series of fascial slings and chains. There are six, the back line, front line, lateral line. spiral line. back functional line and deep front line.

these allow muscle contractions to affect another muscle that it attaches to through fascia. There are receptors in the muscles called golgi tendons which respond to stretch. When the muscles fibers of the second muscle stretch, a signal is sent neurologically to the spinal cord which elicits a motor neuron to fire the muscle that is stretched. Thus, a contraction in ‘A’ muscle can help facilitate a contraction in ‘B’ muscle. This is the fascial chain at work aka kinetic chain.

goggle ‘fascial lines’ for a visual.

Jul 31, 2019
Ok so to transmit force and distribute strain, the body uses a series of fascial slings and chains. There are six, the back line, front line, lateral line. spiral line. back functional line and deep front line.

these allow muscle contractions to affect another muscle that it attaches to through fascia. There are receptors in the muscles called golgi tendons which respond to stretch. When the muscles fibers of the second muscle stretch, a signal is sent neurologically to the spinal cord which elicits a motor neuron to fire the muscle that is stretched. Thus, a contraction in ‘A’ muscle can help facilitate a contraction in ‘B’ muscle. This is the fascial chain at work aka kinetic chain.

So much for dumbing it down.....

Feb 25, 2020

I think you are close to realizing that the core does not turn the hips.

If you realize that(for a right randed batter) the right leg pushes(by pulling on bones) the right side of the pelvis forward and the front leg stops and pushes(by pulling on bones) the left side of the pelvis rearward you will see how rotation happens. Hip rotation is from legs.

And in the swing this hip roation happens so obliques can pull against.

Hip rotation happens to keep obliques stretched so they can keep pulling.

Muscles only pull.

To argue otherwise is wrong.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

If you realize that(for a right randed batter) the right leg pushes(by pulling on bones) the right side of the pelvis forward and the front leg stops and pushes(by pulling on bones) the left side of the pelvis rearward you will see how rotation happens. Hip rotation is from legs.

Muscles only pull.

i don’t think it’s that simple. In fact I know it’s not. The legs don’t open to drag the bat around. Look at the angle of Miggys pelvis. It’s closed at foot down.His front leg is closed.

He is creating stretch through the opposite leg and shoulder. He is compressing his core against his front hip. It’s not open up from the ground up and hold on to your turn.

This is really bad.

This is really good

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Muscles only pull.

Bonesaw the result after contraction occurs is the hips will open.

Here is an example of the legs turning the hips open

Bxr6FYl.gif

vs contracting obliques

I3lbNro.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

4UzzfVL.gif

Jul 29, 2013
i don’t think it’s that simple. In fact I know it’s not. The legs don’t open to drag the bat around. Look at the angle of Miggys pelvis. It’s closed at foot down.His front leg is closed.

He is creating stretch through the opposite leg and shoulder. He is compressing his core against his front hip. It’s not open up from the ground up and hold on to your turn.

This is really bad.

This is really good

After that fascia post I thought you might actually start basing your argument on scientific fact. Lol

Miggy is internally rotating his left leg to turn his pelvis. He's not compressing his core. The hip internal rotators are contracting.

Go see the video in post 765 and specifically look at the part at 22:00 minutes about satellites. Then maybe you'll understand that it's not possible for the core to turn the pelvis. If the core is not anchored the movement is open chain and all that happens is the shoulders move closer to the pelvis, left to right, right to left. No turn.

BTW Fascia doesn't move musculature unless you mean that when the legs move the rest of the body follows because it's all encased in fascia/skin. The muscles are attached to bones with tendons. Break that connection and the bone won't move. Fascia or no fascia.

Jul 29, 2013
Bonesaw the result after contraction occurs is the hips will open.

Here is an example of the legs turning the hips open

Bxr6FYl.gif

vs contracting obliques

I3lbNro.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

4UzzfVL.gif
Can't you see that when the obliques contract, the shoulders turn, not the pelvis? Look at Miggy's pelvis at the point when you think his obliques are contracting. Why doesn't his pelvis keep rotating?
Then notice that the extension of the front knee maxes out and the internal rotation of the front leg maxes out and the pelvis stops rotating.

Last edited: