barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This hitter is one of SB's students and so, was taught much the same as TM. They were a team for a while.

Correct. And I think some of her later swings were superior to this one. I respect SB and his work. But I think this clip was taken early on in the process. I also respect you and your work. I realize you and SB have not always seen eye to eye but I find you both to be knowledgeable sources.

Jun 8, 2016
Ok, so you outdid me with a resume and a picture. I'm a nobody and so, the resume wouldn't impress anyone and the picture, well lets just say it isn't pretty.
I wasn't trying to outdo anybody and my academic resume means nothing on this board, nor should it. Just figured we would introduce ourselves properly.

Also did you see my picture?
Ldcnija.gif

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Correct. And I think some of her later swings were superior to this one. I respect SB and his work. But I think this clip was taken early on in the process. I also respect you and your work. I realize you and SB have not always seen eye to eye but I find you both to be knowledgeable sources.
I think this is her circa 2017:

Jun 8, 2016
If I had intended to go after you I would have quoted you. I have the nuts to sign my name here and have done so many time. I have the nuts to post my daughter's swing for 10 years on this site and others. Now you match that!
I missed the bold originally. I have been posting Marcela's swing for the last 4 years the good (not usually), the bad (most often) and the ugly (only if I am in the video). I have the "advantage" of being overly negative so when I get criticism on her swing it doesn't bother me...

Jun 8, 2016
One problem I have, and using Nadia Taylor's videos as an example, if her swing is a swing that is inefficient and a poor push swing, the will all the coaching done with other hitters enable them to be more successful than her?
Being a good hitter takes more than just good mechanics, but you knew that already @Cannonball . Confidence, approach, athletic ability, the reps you put in, etc. all play a factor. It is only when everybody has all of those things going for them that the ones with the best mechanics will win out. Nadia hit well with the swing first posted but I think most would agree that the swings I posted from 2017 were better. She improved. Doesn't mean that she couldn't hit at UT.

I try to tell my 10 YO that just because Dad is working with you on correcting something doesn't mean that I don't think you can hit. I think sometimes it is hard for a 10 YO to process that.

Also no need to leave, your (hitting) contributions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Being a good hitter takes more than just good mechanics, but you knew that already @Cannonball . Confidence, approach, athletic ability, the reps you put in, etc. all play a factor. It is only when everybody has all of those things going for them that the ones with the best mechanics will win out. Nadia hit well with the swing first posted but I think most would agree that the swings I posted from 2017 were better. She improved. Doesn't mean that she couldn't hit at UT.

I try to tell my 10 YO that just because Dad is working with you on correcting something doesn't mean that I don't think you can hit. I think sometimes it is hard for a 10 YO to process that.

Also no need to leave, your (hitting) contributions are appreciated.

The bold above is right on the money. In my experience with Allie at times

Jul 29, 2013
Once again the obliques pull the pelvis, the back leg pulls the back hip back the other way as well by holding onto the ground through the heel.

Do you see the middle move before the pelvis when he ‘opens’. The middle creates launch. If you open the pelvis to swing.. That is long.

in all honesty Bobby. The pelvis is the brakes in the swing. It’s not a power producer. Hip/shoulder separation creates direction and energy transfer issues( can’t get across the body). Try the first drill in this progression. Then try it from a slightly closed stance. Stay closed into foot down and launch. See if you can feel your obliques moving your pelvis. Then try it with counter rotation during your gather/forward move.

In all accuracy Ww,
The pelvis is a bone. It doesn't do anything but respond to actions of the muscles.
The middle moves first because the legs allow it to move by allowing imbalance. When you walk forward, you offset your pelvis and dorsiflex your feet. The middle appears to move first but a few things are happening to allow falling forward or in Trout's case, sideways. The lifting up of the pelvis, unweighting a leg, allows the pelvis to move sideways in the direction of that leg. Obliques are used for sideways movement but they are tilting the pelvis, not turning it.
The turning of the pelvis is due initially to the outward rotation of the rear leg and the leg being against the ground is closed chain so the pelvis moves. A torque is created on the pelvis. Further rotation of the pelvis occurs when the front leg contacts the ground after the stride and imparts an offset force (torque) on the pelvis.
The obliques rotate the trunk. Since the pelvis is constrained, the obliques move the torso, not the pelvis.
The pelvis could become a brake on the swing if it prevents rotation but it's a bone so I don't think that's possible. Nor can it produce power. It's a bone.
Brakes only create negative acceleration, also known as stopping.
Brakes convert movement into heat.
Brakes don't create power. They arrest it.

Jul 29, 2013
In all honesty Bobby. The pelvis is the brakes in the swing. It’s not a power producer. Hip/shoulder separation creates direction and energy transfer issues( can’t get across the body). Try the first drill in this progression. Then try it from a slightly closed stance. Stay closed into foot down and launch. See if you can feel your obliques moving your pelvis. Then try it with counter rotation during your gather/forward
Work=wins said:

Reconcile how Stan gets across his body. He barely rotates. HOFer. The best hardly rotate. They control their rotation. They hit against their lower half Bobby. They are not Michelle Kwan wanna-bes.

How about trying a little consistency?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Work=wins said:

Reconcile how Stan gets across his body. He barely rotates. HOFer. The best hardly rotate. They control their rotation. They hit against their lower half Bobby. They are not Michelle Kwan wanna-bes.

How about trying a little consistency?

the pelvis is the lower half. The obliques pull the hips open. The legs pull the hips closed.

the front leg doesn’t open up the swing from the ground up.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
In all accuracy Ww,
The pelvis is a bone. It doesn't do anything but respond to actions of the muscles.
The middle moves first because the legs allow it to move by allowing imbalance. When you walk forward, you offset your pelvis and dorsiflex your feet. The middle appears to move first but a few things are happening to allow falling forward or in Trout's case, sideways. The lifting up of the pelvis, unweighting a leg, allows the pelvis to move sideways in the direction of that leg. Obliques are used for sideways movement but they are tilting the pelvis, not turning it.
The turning of the pelvis is due initially to the outward rotation of the rear leg and the leg being against the ground is closed chain so the pelvis moves. A torque is created on the pelvis. Further rotation of the pelvis occurs when the front leg contacts the ground after the stride and imparts an offset force (torque) on the pelvis.
The obliques rotate the trunk. Since the pelvis is constrained, the obliques move the torso, not the pelvis.
The pelvis could become a brake on the swing if it prevents rotation but it's a bone so I don't think that's possible. Nor can it produce power. It's a bone.
Brakes only create negative acceleration, also known as stopping.
Brakes convert movement into heat.
Brakes don't create power. They arrest it.

You think the hips opening is how you get across the body? That’s not getting across the body. That’s spinning. That’s rotating and bringing the bat around the body.

When you’re driving and you put on the brakes suddenly everything in your car that isn’t strapped down goes flying forward right? That’s what the hips do in the elite swing. That’s how you get across your body. That the decel. It’s reciprocal rotation.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478