barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Okay, I do not agree but I understand what you are saying. Now let's return to this clip. Does Federer qualify as "maximum leverage with both legs grounded" in this clip?

rNCGqAK.gif

This clip was created to show front side usage..

So you disagree that these 3 clips aren't maximum leveraged against stretching obliques (core) ?

Is it possible there are multiple movement patterns ? Or do you think they are all doing the same thing but different styles ?

I3lbNro.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

4UzzfVL.gif

Jul 29, 2013
Reconcile how Stan gets across his body. He barely rotates. HOFer. The best hardly rotate. They control their rotation. They hit against their lower half Bobby. They are not Michelle Kwan wanna-bes.

Reconciled. He is not swinging across his body. Clearly, his pelvis is leading the way.
Pay attention to relationship of that front shoulder to the belt buckle.
Then notice how the barrel accelerates rearward first and how the barrel rotates around the forearm axis (90 degree angle) indicating early bat speed and TTB or as you refer to it: "casting." Lol
Then notice that his pelvis only stops rotating because the front leg that is driving the rotation comes to full extension. It doesn't block rotation, it's come to the limit of the rotation it can generate because he strides closed.
Screenshot_2020-03-28-12-34-38.pngScreenshot_2020-03-28-12-37-33.pngScreenshot_2020-03-28-12-34-53.pngScreenshot_2020-03-28-12-34-16.png

Jun 8, 2016
This is all theoretical until people post their hitters who they taught using whatever "theory" they ascribe to. Everybody sh&*s on TM but at least he has hitters which you can sh&* on 😉 . To his credit @Work=wins has at least shown his kid. I believe @Bobby Shirer has too albeit from about 100 meters away :LOL: . @julray has shown his DD but it may have been before his epiphany :p .

I have no theory which is clearly evident in my kid's swing :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
I know Mike Epstein says you can’t swing down without moving forward onto the front leg. In other wards you can’t stay back and swing down. Did he gleam this off Ted?
Dunno. Ask Epstein. But be careful, Epstein's answer may include words that, according to Julray, are different than what he actually means. Lol

Jul 29, 2013
This is all theoretical until people post their hitters who they taught using whatever "theory" they ascribe to. Everybody sh&*s on TM but at least he has hitters which you can sh&* on 😉 . To his credit @Work=wins has at least shown his kid. I believe @Bobby Shirer has too albeit from about 100 meters away :LOL: . @julray has shown his DD but it may have been before his epiphany :p .

I have no theory which is clearly evident in my kid's swing :rolleyes:
Closer and up really close.

Jul 29, 2013
You believe this.. you believe "YOU CAN'T USE YOUR HIPS WHILE SWINGING DOWN!"? Again asking for your thoughts on the matter. I can read fine, I can visualize what he's talking about when demonstrating a certain type of movement. What I can't understand is the inability to use the hips(core, glutes, etc) with the goal of being "down to" with proper FYB sequence, good posture, leverage and tilt. Post a swing of somebody being down to while using proper sequence, tilt and posture.. at the same time incapable of using their hips(core, glutes etc).
I didn't say I believed it, Ted said it and he's a hofer so you should believe it. I don't immediately believe everything some dumb rear who can hit a ball with a stick says, no matter how proficient he is. Especially if there's evidence to the contrary. That's your MO not mine.

How about you post a swing of somebody doing it. I can't prove a negative. You prove your point.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Reconciled. He is not swinging across his body. Clearly, his pelvis is leading the way.
Pay attention to relationship of that front shoulder to the belt buckle.
Then notice how the barrel accelerates rearward first and how the barrel rotates around the forearm axis (90 degree angle) indicating early bat speed and TTB or as you refer to it: "casting." Lol
Then notice that his pelvis only stops rotating because the front leg that is driving the rotation comes to full extension. It doesn't block rotation, it's come to the limit of the rotation it can generate because he strides closed.
View attachment 16846View attachment 16847View attachment 16848View attachment 16849

Once again the obliques pull the pelvis, the back leg pulls the back hip back the other way as well by holding onto the ground through the heel.

Do you see the middle move before the pelvis when he ‘opens’. The middle creates launch. If you open the pelvis to swing.. That is long.

in all honesty Bobby. The pelvis is the brakes in the swing. It’s not a power producer. Hip/shoulder separation creates direction and energy transfer issues( can’t get across the body). Try the first drill in this progression. Then try it from a slightly closed stance. Stay closed into foot down and launch. See if you can feel your obliques moving your pelvis. Then try it with counter rotation during your gather/forward move.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This clip was created to show front side usage..

So you disagree that these 3 clips aren't maximum leveraged against stretching obliques (core) ?

Is it possible there are multiple movement patterns ? Or do you think they are all doing the same thing but different styles ?

I3lbNro.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

4UzzfVL.gif

So, if we are going to have an open/honest discussion, let's apply some ground rules so that it doesn't turn into the second coming of BBD (unfortunately I think this forum is already headed down that path...). If I ask you a question, I will do so without taking your answers out of context or attempting to apply different meanings to them. I ask that you do the same. As a starting point, please show me where I stated the bold above. Once you do that, I would be glad to continue. Thank you in advance.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Okay, I do not agree but I understand what you are saying. Now let's return to this clip. Does Federer qualify as "maximum leverage with both legs grounded" in this clip?

rNCGqAK.gif

Maybe if you shared what part you disagree with and why assumptions wouldn't be made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802