barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Reciprocal motion? Lower resisting opening for the player to get across his body? Lots of words that don't describe what the picture clearly shows....
Clark's shoulders aligned to his pelvis at contact.View attachment 16838

what you are saying doesn’t mean that reciprocal rotation isn’t happening. The location of the pitch will determine how far the pelvis rotates. Here’s a better view look the hips are at about 70 degrees while the shoulders Keep going.

notice the back hip stop?

here it is again.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Here’s something interesting. In Hank Aaron’s book he says there is “some” backswing. He said you don’t want to eliminate it, although you don’t want too much. So, technically Hank is the earliest to mention having a backswing. 👍

It can be similar to the brightest minds saying the earth was flat and all the while it says in the Bible the earth’s shape. Meanwhile the religious leaders or Catholic Church persecuted anyone who thought outside the box and said the Earth was round. All the while the answer is in the Bible. I tried to find the verse in the Bible where it says the earth’s shape. I will find it.

Hank’s Aaron book is actually a good read. He mentions the hips importance, the body acting like a spring and swinging down. From a technical reference it’s just as good as Ted Williams book.

Then there’s Dave Hudgens who taught short to the ball and any action or back swing was bad.

May 12, 2016
Ted Williams told Wade Boggs and Don Mattingly that they didn't know what they were doing. Julray said Williams didn't know what he was talking about. Lol.
Didn’t say that, Williams said unable to use “hips” when describing “down to” swing, meaning he was illustrating a swing without leverage, no posture and abaf sequence.. all upper body.

btw a hammer does turn, so does an axe, sledgehammer, tomahawk.. etc. the hammer head turns to the nail when you swing it, pretty simple concept

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Although I have defined what one-legged or rear-legged means to me on several occasions, I will provide another brief description here. I created the gif below sometime ago and posted it at BBD to explain my position. In order to keep this short, I will only stress a couple of points. I don't wish to get into full detail for sake of time. Plus I don't want to bore all those legions of people that are more interested in your descriptions.

At the beginning of the clip, see how much lower the 2 is than the 0 on the back of his uniform? Watch when the 0 begins to dive down. At approximately the same time, his rear elbow is also lowering (yes there is a correlation). It is my contention that he has already launched by the end of this clip. Yes, he can still abort if he needs to. If he did it would create a clip similar to the Ryan Howard check swing clip. Now notice the position of his front foot during this. At the beginning of the clip, his foot is not touching the ground at all. The 0 on his jersey, and the height of his rear elbow move substantially before there is any appreciable weight on that front foot. In a nutshell, that is one-legged. That is rear-legged. That is the swing causing the shift. Or if you prefer, it is not shifting weight across the pelvis too soon.

cwwtLuJ.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Although I have defined what one-legged or rear-legged means to me on several occasions, I will provide another brief description here. I created the gif below sometime ago and posted it at BBD to explain my position. In order to keep this short, I will only stress a couple of points. I don't wish to get into full detail for sake of time. Plus I don't want to bore all those legions of people that are more interested in your descriptions.

At the beginning of the clip, see how much lower the 2 is than the 0 on the back of his uniform? Watch when the 0 begins to dive down. At approximately the same time, his rear elbow is also lowering (yes there is a correlation). It is my contention that he has already launched by the end of this clip. Yes, he can still abort if he needs to. If he did it would create a clip similar to the Ryan Howard check swing clip. Now notice the position of his front foot during this. At the beginning of the clip, his foot is not touching the ground at all. The 0 on his jersey, and the height of his rear elbow move substantially before there is any appreciable weight on that front foot. In a nutshell, that is one-legged. That is rear-legged. That is the swing causing the shift. Or if you prefer, it is not shifting weight across the pelvis too soon.

cwwtLuJ.gif

Does JD do this with the majority of his swings ?

So is it your contention then that all hitters use this type of rear legged pattern ?

Also is rear legged providing the direction and initial drive of the swing while the core is fused and resisting ?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sorry, I don't have a clue how pattern and sequence is tied into the hitting position.. I hope you're not going with SB's claim of me attempting to rename fbc with bb/a$$.. bb/a$$ has a release/relax piece while fbc never releases but rides it out... Also fbc is a rear leg/hip thing while bb/a$$ is tied to the core and the fyb position is the result.

Most hitters never get into a dynamic fyb position, but instead let the pitcher dictate when they swing either from the rear leg or a compromised rear leg/hip releationship (front leg).

Not at all. I had several conversations with NoonTime back in the day and he did a very good job of explaining BB/A$$ to me. I am making an assumption that his explanation is similar to yours, but for some reason I had an easier time understanding his...

Pasted below are two of the classic pattern/sequence clips. The pattern portion of the clips are quite different. But the sequence portions are nearly identical. The difference is "style". Some people take offense to the term "style". Its as if they believe the phrase means that this phase is not important. I believe otherwise. The pattern/style portion is VERY important. However, it is hitter specific. Stride/No-Stride. Toe-tap/HIgh Leg Kick. Large arm action / small arm action. Etc., Etc. All different. But all important in setting up that specific hitter for what is coming next. Once that phase is complete, the hitter moves into the sequence. Granted, the clips need to progress another frame or two before the hitter reaches the hitting position / launch position, but I see it as a fair description. If you disagree, that's fine. Again, I just see it as much of what happens prior to the hitting position is hitter specific, while what happens after the hitting position is pretty standard. Again, I am not discounting what happens BEFORE. To steal a phrase from someone you know well, there are "under the hood" things that occur that are the same. It's the visual that is quite different.

Hopefully that makes sense.

3eZtNEe.gif

34WJd9k.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Does JD do this with the majority of his swings ? This pattern, yes. The location of his front foot may be slightly different depending on timing and other factors. And that is why I don't place much stock in the toe-touch and heel-plant check points that some others do. Not saying they cannot be used. Just that they are not absolutes.

So is it your contention then that all hitters use this type of rear legged pattern ? The best hitters, yes. But not all hitters. Many/most amateur hitters do not. I see a lot of them shift their weight either too far forward or too early.

Also is rear legged providing the direction and initial drive of the swing ? This is a complicated question. The answer would require much greater detail than I have time to provide right now. But let's just say that direction and drive are the result of a number of different things. The rear-legged alignment is part of that. You can even call it "meaningful coil" if you wish ;) Sorry bluedog...

Please see my answers above within your post...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802