barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

This was a HR that sent the Astro's to the WS. This was a pitch on the outside coming from a lefty (Chapman). It was hit over the LC fence. You can pull an outside pitch if it's up a little, doesn't work so well if the pitch is down.

Is there early TTB or just a deeper HPP (hand pivot point)?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
In the game they had Judge and Altuve standing next to each other, who is a better power hitter? A 6'7 280 pnd judge or a 5'6 165 pnd Altuve?

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Hard to tell from that angle, but it looks like he was early and caught it right when he was about to lose all power. Look how small the triangle is on contact, and his wrists are already rolling...

As for TTB - yes the barrel turns. No torquing though... That is "down to".

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
giphy.gif

This was a HR that sent the Astro's to the WS. This was a pitch on the outside coming from a lefty (Chapman). It was hit over the LC fence. You can pull an outside pitch if it's up a little, doesn't work so well if the pitch is down.

Is there early TTB or just a deeper HPP (hand pivot point)?
I don't know if I call that ball being pulled. When I think pull, I think outside of the ball and the ball hooking(turning left) THis is hitting the ball a little more out front and trying to stay inside the ball at the same time. Guy has a great swing. I wish this guy had never cheated.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The intent to TTB by torquing the handle at "go" has been a significant part of the improvements in quickness and power (approx. 10%) I've seen from my DD over the past year.

It makes zero sense to me to wait for some other action to cause the barrel to pivot around the hands. Get the barrel turning ASAP, and continue to accelerate it though contact. A dragster doesn't wait to accelerate until halfway down the 1/4 mile. Torque the barrel, AND take advantage of gravity (turn the barrel down), AND use the centrifugal forces created by a turning torso.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Almost every mlb players TTB. (not ALL) Acuna barely TTB. Some turn it earlier than others. Some have a more pronounced turn (tip and rip). I have DD experiment with extreme tip and rip (barrel head pointed at pitcher) in order to feel the hand pivot point. Also experiment with extreme leg kick with internal rotation to feel glute load. The swing is dynamic. Play around with it.

Oct 2, 2017
Almost every mlb players TTB. (not ALL) Acuna barely TTB. Some turn it earlier than others. Some have a more pronounced turn (tip and rip). I have DD experiment with extreme tip and rip (barrel head pointed at pitcher) in order to feel the hand pivot point. Also experiment with extreme leg kick with internal rotation to feel glute load. The swing is dynamic. Play around with it.

This ^^^^^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802