barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Triggered?
I think you are the one triggered superstar

The ridiculous chopping motion is right from the mouths of your hofs. 7:22
Not my HOF, yours as well. ;)

Pros say, demo, practice hand path (down to), with whatever you think makes up the rest of the entire swing. I've never heard any pro say FYB sequence, tilt, maintain posture.
Post a video with the pro's clarification.
Until then, gfys.
One thing we can all agree on is a FYB sequence, the importance of tilt and maintaining posture. That's very very obvious. So when you see AROD, Pujois, Trout, Yelich, Cruz, Bonds, standing flat footed taking dry swings or demoing the down to hand path.. do you believe they are also in a FYB position, with tilt and good posture? To me this is all logical and common sense.. we all agree on FYB, Tilt, Posture.. etc, and the best in the game talk about down to.. one thing they never talk about is TTB.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think you are the one triggered superstar

Not my HOF, yours as well. ;)

One thing we can all agree on is a FYB sequence, the importance of tilt and maintaining posture. That's very very obvious. So when you see AROD, Pujois, Trout, Yelich, Cruz, Bonds, standing flat footed taking dry swings or demoing the down to hand path.. do you believe they are also in a FYB position, with tilt and good posture? To me this is all logical and common sense.. we all agree on FYB, Tilt, Posture.. etc, and the best in the game talk about down to.. one thing they never talk about is TTB.

The bold above is very important. And yes, we all agree on these things. At least those of us within this forum. The problem occurs when someone sitting at home watching MLB network sees their demos for the first time and knows nothing about "FYB sequence, the importance of tilt and maintaining posture". It may be common sense for us, but it isn't for everyone. For those people, performing the actions literally could very well happen, and will not result in a match to the pros actual game swing. Some level of understanding is required.

May 12, 2016
The bold above is very important. And yes, we all agree on these things. At least those of us within this forum. The problem occurs when someone sitting at home watching MLB network sees their demos for the first time and knows nothing about "FYB sequence, the importance of tilt and maintaining posture". It may be common sense for us, but it isn't for everyone. For those people, performing the actions literally could very well happen, and will not result in a match to the pros actual game swing. Some level of understanding is required.
Agree, some level of understanding is needed. That's the same with every sport though. When you see established hitters like Pujois, Trout, Arod, Bonds, Yelich, Cruz etc discussing, demoing, and practicing down to and you feel something is a little off.. then good lord make an effort to understand instead relying on a shortcut method. IMO TTB is a knock off, a band aid fix and yes there are those who are having success with that method, but I can't help but to wonder "what if?". This is not directed at you personally

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
How do you reconcile any differences with a FYB sequence in a stride vs no-stride approach. I know it has been asked before, but as long as you get into a 'correct' hitting launch position is FYB actually a thing? I would also ask is TTB a thing with a neck slot hitting approach ala George Brett?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Agree, some level of understanding is needed. That's the same with every sport though. When you see established hitters like Pujois, Trout, Arod, Bonds, Yelich, Cruz etc discussing, demoing, and practicing down to and you feel something is a little off.. then good lord make an effort to understand instead relying on a shortcut method. IMO TTB is a knock off, a band aid fix and yes there are those who are having success with that method, but I can't help but to wonder "what if?". This is not directed at you personally

Understood. We will continue to disagree about TTB, but I do understand where you are coming from.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Also, as a father trying to gain an understanding of the swing to be able to teach DD, this has been the longest most painful struggle to try and make any sense out of all the posts on here. There is always some reason why one swing is different. I think, like the robot, there has to be an ideal swing that creates a good swing plane power and speed on a down the middle pitch. After that to me athleticism takes over most of the adjustments.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
How do you reconcile any differences with a FYB sequence in a stride vs no-stride approach. I know it has been asked before, but as long as you get into a 'correct' hitting launch position is FYB actually a thing? I would also ask is TTB a thing with a neck slot hitting approach ala George Brett?

1) I see FYB as a state of dynamic balance that occurs in all good swings. Some hitters have a tendency to shift their weight too far forward and cannot wait on off speed. They are missing the "YB". Others tend to get stuck on their backside and don't shift enough of their weight into the swing. They are missing the "F". In order to be able to hit consistently against good pitching, a hitter must be FYB. Whether the hitter strides or not doesn't matter.
2) On the contrary, swinging from a neck slot position is actually a great drill to capture the TTB feeling. I use it all the time with my hitters. It does prohibit a running start, but that is a different topic. Personally I find a lot of value in a running start, but not all hitters utilize one.

Jun 8, 2016
I think some would say FYB is the correct hitting position. With regards to TTB and neck slot, many who are trying to teach TTB actually use that to promote it as it eliminates a lot of the arm action which can get in the way of TTB.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Also, as a father trying to gain an understanding of the swing to be able to teach DD, this has been the longest most painful struggle to try and make any sense out of all the posts on here. There is always some reason why one swing is different. I think, like the robot, there has to be an ideal swing that creates a good swing plane power and speed on a down the middle pitch. After that to me athleticism takes over most of the adjustments.

I understand your pain. Really I do. And it doesn't help that there are so many different theories out there, and in here for that matter... My personal opinion is that hitters use one swing which is adaptable to all zones and speeds. They do not have multiple swings that they would use for various pitches. One swing that is adjusted by body movement and hand path. Optimal acceleration allows the hitter to swing at the last possible instant. Depth of barrel path will keep the barrel in the zone longer. Built in adjustability.

Best of luck in your journey!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802