barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I've already stated a number of times what I don't like about his instruction (which is what I am interested in).

AJ has problems with the ball up..so does Trout
View attachment 17012

AJ strikes out a lot. He struck out a lot before he worked with TM and he strikes out a lot now. You know who else struck out a lot (for his era at least)? Mickey Mantle. Some hitters strike out more than others. Maybe their mechanics have something to do with it, maybe it doesn't.

Well thanks for playing !!

Jul 29, 2013
Change the angle of the dry swing and one can see the swing down to....

MASQCEL.gif

7WXRPTr.gif
He's looks to be keeping the barrel above his hands relative to his spine angle. I think Bonds et al, let the barrel get below their hands, relative to spine angle.
Then there's a small group who's dry swings are barrel below hands. Alyssa DiCarlo and any student of Michael Lotief (UL) come to mind. Relatively speaking, the "barrel below hands" dry swingers are few and far between. How do they compare in outcomes? BA? OPS? Are they disproportionately represented in the elite group?

Jul 29, 2013
IMO, and I have stated this a number of times on here, there is nothing wrong with longer in space. I do think longer in time (e.g. longer time to contact) is an issue.

In most swings the hands will go down some, right
vwTXI3x.gif

and in all swings the barrel is accelerated downward initially.

Now the question is are the hands only actively moving down to the ball (which is what the pros show and which most hands to ball demos look like) or being pulled by the core or a combination of both along with the question of whether the torque applied to the handle (which is causing the barrel to be down to and up through) is a reaction (to the pulling core) or a combination of reaction and active (the "snap it" mentality).

I saw it on twitter a while back and then just searched for it the other day.
It would be cool to do an analysis of the path the bat takes and the physical forces and vectors required move the bat along that path to create the barrel speed and direction we see in an elite swing.
I'd love to see the computer program for the batting machine!

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Can you tilt the frame of a Bonds swing? I'd like to see that.

The biggest problem I have is the fact that they say to swing down and hit the top of the ball and drive it on the ground.

I have herd multiple guys wanting to have control of the barrel so they can hit it on a line, on the ground.. Which is why "top of the ball" queue is used..

Wouldn't it be more correct to say, "Here's my arm position and hand path, I tilt my spine to get on plane so I don't drive the ball into the ground."
Don't you think a statement like that would eliminate a lot of debate.

Don't disagree

I posted a link to a SI article where Ted Williams challenged Don Mattingly when Mattingly said he swings down.
Is it the case where what these pros say goes unchallenged because some are so awe struck by the celebrity? So there's no clarification? They all stand around and nod their heads like bobble dolls. A huh, a huh....

Agree, it would have been better if Don put himself in position before swinging down. Although I think they are isolating the hands and arms.

Or are the clarifications out there?
I'd like to see a pro talking about setting up the swing plane by tilting his spine rearward before he swings to the ball. Do you know of any?
I've seen the choppers and I've seen Donaldson with a completely different approach. Few are willing to challenge the convention.
I think the emperor has no clothes.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Then there's a small group who's dry swings are barrel below hands. Alyssa DiCarlo and any student of Michael Lotief (UL) come to mind. Relatively speaking, the "barrel below hands" dry swingers are few and far between. How do they compare in outcomes? BA? OPS? Are they disproportionately represented in the elite group?

The only ones I am aware of who were trained to turn down were AJ, Happ, and Kingery...

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Then there is the guy who has hit the most home runs over the past decade

- Nelson Cruz Swing Mechanics Breakdown

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Can you tilt the frame of a Bonds swing? I'd like to see that.

The biggest problem I have is the fact that they say to swing down and hit the top of the ball and drive it on the ground.
Wouldn't it be more correct to say, "Here's my arm position and hand path, I tilt my spine to get on plane so I don't drive the ball into the ground."
Don't you think a statement like that would eliminate a lot of debate.

I posted a link to a SI article where Ted Williams challenged Don Mattingly when Mattingly said he swings down.
Is it the case where what these pros say goes unchallenged because some are so awe struck by the celebrity? So there's no clarification? They all stand around and nod their heads like bobble dolls. A huh, a huh....

Or are the clarifications out there?
I'd like to see a pro talking about setting up the swing plane by tilting his spine rearward before he swings to the ball. Do you know of any?
I've seen the choppers and I've seen Donaldson with a completely different approach. Few are willing to challenge the convention.
I think the emperor has no clothes.

I believe the video below is pretty close to what you are looking for. It is kind of hard to hear every word he is saying but his actions show (IMO) he is referring to adding tilt with the hand path he has often spoken of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2