barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
No not at all, obviously Williams understands how to swing a bat. But why don’t share your knowledge on what Williams meant when he said you can’t use your hips when swinging down.
Well since this is softball and you've served up a fatty....
I'm gonna swing for the fence with this one.
I gonna guess when he said,
"you can't use your hips while swinging down"....
that he meant,... er.....a.....er wait , I know this.... he meant......aaaaa......
could he possibly have meant.....
YOU CAN'T USE YOUR HIPS WHILE SWINGING DOWN!
Just a wild guess.
But I'm literally no literary expert.
I'm just taking the statement at face value and interpreting the words as meaning what they describe.
Unlike Jul ray's pros who need interpretation to make sense of their feelings vs their actions.

Jul 29, 2013
I don't care for that top clip at all. A to B. If he is referring to hand path, it's easy to see that B is in the wrong location. The hitter's hands are several inches above where he has B showing. If he is referring to barrel path, it is convenient that he deleted the frames in between. If he had included them it would be easy to see that the linear path he is implying is not even close to being accurate.
Funny how they have to leave info out to support their theory.
The swing happens in such a short time frame that, before video recording became widespread, everyone believed the swing was A to B, down to.
Now, some of us are wiser due to technological advances while others still live in the stone age.
Do you think it's sentimentality, hardheadedness, or just plain old stupidity at the root of the resistance to embrace the new paradigm?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
See my answers embedded in your post above...

The hitting position / launch position is important. I thought I already said that. I have no issue with hitters talking about that. In fact, I talk about it. I just use different terms. My only contention is that I am not a fan of "positions" per se. I see it all as flow through... At BBD I have asked several times "if the hitting position is the only thing that matters, why don't hitters simply start that and avoid everything prior to it". Of course that was one of those questions that no one was ever willing to answer. But to me its because it takes the dynamic part of the swing out of the equation. The hitting position is important, but a hitter must arrive at that position on time. You cannot just hold it and wait. Here I go actually bringing up Rich myself... Think about what he refers to as "command position". While he utilizes a command drill, I have never heard or read him suggest that a hitter should stand in the batter's box against live pitching in the command drill position and simply allow the ball to determine when to launch. Even he wants it to be dynamic.

How can they be the same when JD in that clip doesn't appear to be in a leveraged hitting position before directing/driving the barrel. So is the 1 legged launch position optimal vs being leveraged (both legs) ?

How about this back hand clip ? Are the rear legged dependencies the same as your 1 legged launch position you focus on? In the one legged launch model does your front side become leveraged like the backhand?

qsJ68wT.gif

So from the one legged launch position you speak of are the legs supporters of the contracting obliques or is the rear leg/hip the driver ?

Dn3mgsS.gif

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
How can they be the same when JD in that clip doesn't appear to be in a leveraged hitting position before directing/driving the barrel. So is the 1 legged launch position optimal vs being leveraged (both legs) ?

How about this back hand clip ? Are the rear legged dependencies the same as your 1 legged launch position you focus on? In the one legged launch model does your front side become leveraged like the backhand?

qsJ68wT.gif
Maybe the leverage is created differently than your understanding of it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The leverage is TTB dependent then. That’s the entire point. If you cannot leverage the frontside you need something else to create the ‘giddy up’ like say, the ‘whip drill’ 🤮 or ‘on and around’ or ‘behind and through’. All misconstrued perceptions of the elite level swing. I Just like answering the obvious questions. They’re easy.😄 carry on!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Funny how they have to leave info out to support their theory.
The swing happens in such a short time frame that, before video recording became widespread, everyone believed the swing was A to B, down to.
Now, some of us are wiser due to technological advances while others still live in the stone age.
Do you think it's sentimentality, hardheadedness, or just plain old stupidity at the root of the resistance to embrace the new paradigm?

Probably a combination of all. Basic psychology in many cases. If a person admits that someone else has a point, they are afraid it weakens there own position. Typically that is what stands in the way of quality discussions.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Let's start with this piece... What is your definition of "being leveraged (both legs)" ? At BBD I remember someone posting a clip of a volleyball player. Was that you? If so, is that volleyball player "leveraged (both legs)" when spiking the ball?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Another Question: Do you all agree that we want a tight , connected turn into the ball? Another thing I felt when trying to teach myself to TTB (since so many claimed that was the cure to every swing), I felt disconnection early and less control/balance during the turn

connected? I don’t use the term. But yes to a tight turn. I don’t speak of it though. It’s a no teach if the lower half is loaded and closed at foot down while the upper still has the front shoulder ‘down and in’ while the middle is pulling against the lower. The tight turn will be there if the sequence is right.

if you’re talking about scap retraction. Yes let the gather and forward move load the hands. Don’t push them back or up etc.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Well since this is softball and you've served up a fatty....
I'm gonna swing for the fence with this one.
I gonna guess when he said,
"you can't use your hips while swinging down"....
that he meant,... er.....a.....er wait , I know this.... he meant......aaaaa......
could he possibly have meant.....
YOU CAN'T USE YOUR HIPS WHILE SWINGING DOWN!
Just a wild guess.
But I'm literally no literary expert.
I'm just taking the statement at face value and interpreting the words as meaning what they describe.
Unlike Jul ray's pros who need interpretation to make sense of their feelings vs their actions.

I know Mike Epstein says you can’t swing down without moving forward onto the front leg. In other wards you can’t stay back and swing down. Did he gleam this off Ted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802