barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Not at all. I had several conversations with NoonTime back in the day and he did a very good job of explaining BB/A$$ to me. I am making an assumption that his explanation is similar to yours, but for some reason I had an easier time understanding his...

Pasted below are two of the classic pattern/sequence clips. The pattern portion of the clips are quite different. But the sequence portions are nearly identical. The difference is "style". Some people take offense to the term "style". Its as if they believe the phrase means that this phase is not important. I believe otherwise. The pattern/style portion is VERY important. However, it is hitter specific. Stride/No-Stride. Toe-tap/HIgh Leg Kick. Large arm action / small arm action. Etc., Etc. All different. But all important in setting up that specific hitter for what is coming next. Once that phase is complete, the hitter moves into the sequence. Granted, the clips need to progress another frame or two before the hitter reaches the hitting position / launch position, but I see it as a fair description. If you disagree, that's fine. Again, I just see it as much of what happens prior to the hitting position is hitter specific, while what happens after the hitting position is pretty standard. Again, I am not discounting what happens BEFORE. To steal a phrase from someone you know well, there are "under the hood" things that occur that are the same. It's the visual that is quite different.

Hopefully that makes sense.

3eZtNEe.gif

34WJd9k.gif

Sorry, I don't see the correlation between pattern/sequence.. Every hitter has a pattern and there own sequence.. Not all hitters get into a leveraged hitting position before whipping the barrel.

vah2fp1.gif

Would you agree AJ has his own pattern and sequence without getting into a hitting position ?

H2KI94X.gif

Aug 20, 2017
Another Question: Do you all agree that we want a tight , connected turn into the ball? Another thing I felt when trying to teach myself to TTB (since so many claimed that was the cure to every swing), I felt disconnection early and less control/balance during the turn

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Here’s something interesting. In Hank Aaron’s book he says there is “some” backswing. He said you don’t want to eliminate it, although you don’t want too much. So, technically Hank is the earliest to mention having a backswing. 👍

It can be similar to the brightest minds saying the earth was flat and all the while it says in the Bible the earth’s shape. Meanwhile the religious leaders or Catholic Church persecuted anyone who thought outside the box and said the Earth was round. All the while the answer is in the Bible. I tried to find the verse in the Bible where it says the earth’s shape. I will find it.

Hank’s Aaron book is actually a good read. He mentions the hips importance, the body acting like a spring and swinging down. From a technical reference it’s just as good as Ted Williams book.

Then there’s Dave Hudgens who taught short to the ball and any action or back swing was bad.

Thanks for the recommendation on Hanks book. I will give it a look.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sorry, I don't see the correlation between pattern/sequence.. Every hitter has a pattern and there own sequence.. Not all hitters get into a leveraged hitting position before whipping the barrel.

vah2fp1.gif

Would you agree AJ has his own pattern and sequence without getting into a hitting position ?

H2KI94X.gif

Not a fan of that particular clip for AJ. A little too stiff for my taste. It's possible he was working on something at the time but you would need to ask his instructor...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Please see my answers above within your post...

Sorry I disagree.. This was the reason I created the hitting position thread at bbd (to show the pattern differences). Does the rear legged you speak of have the same core dependencies here ?

kpp0IQf.gif

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Not a fan of that particular clip for AJ. A little too stiff for my taste. It's possible he was working on something at the time but you would need to ask his instructor...

Do you agree that not all hitters get into a leveraged fyb hitting position before whipping the barrel ?

What does the hitting position that Carp, Bonds, and others speak of mean to you and what is the importance ?

KIInqE1.gif

Jul 29, 2013
They don’t rotate like ballerinas Bobby sorry. Your model is incorrect.
Yes they do. In fact if they kept their hands in and their back foot up, they'd rotate exactly like ballerinas.
You'll never get it but I'll say it for the open minded readers.
The rotation is caused by an offset force against the pelvis: torque. The collar bone is connected via the muscles and when the pelvis rotates the muscles are stretched and there's a resulting offset in pelvis/collarbone alignment. The muscles then contract and realignment occurs. Some hitters turn the pelvis while maintaining the initial alignment and then offset the collarbone ahead of the pelvis. (similar to a hands first swing)
Some offset rearward and then forward allowing a greater ROM.
There's nothing that stopping the hips accomplishes other than allowing the alignment to happen or so the collarbone can get ahead of the pelvis both with less application of strength.
And stopping the pelvic turn is certainly not necessary for the transfer of energy. In fact, stopping the hip turn subtracts energy from the system.
Here's some pics of one of your favorites turning his pelvis after contact.Screenshot_2020-03-28-06-26-29.pngScreenshot_2020-03-28-06-26-12.png

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes they do. In fact if they kept their hands in and their back foot up, they'd rotate exactly like ballerinas.
You'll never get it but I'll say it for the open minded readers.
The rotation is caused by an offset force against the pelvis: torque. The collar bone is connected via the muscles and when the pelvis rotates the muscles are stretched and there's a resulting offset in pelvis/collarbone alignment. The muscles then contract and realignment occurs. Some hitters turn the pelvis while maintaining the initial alignment and then offset the collarbone ahead of the pelvis. (similar to a hands first swing)
Some offset rearward and then forward allowing a greater ROM.
There's nothing that stopping the hips accomplishes other than allowing the alignment to happen or so the collarbone can get ahead of the pelvis both with less application of strength.
And stopping the pelvic turn is certainly not necessary for the transfer of energy. In fact, stopping the hip turn subtracts energy from the system.
Here's some pics of one of your favorites turning his pelvis after contact.View attachment 16844View attachment 16845

Reconcile how Stan gets across his body. He barely rotates. HOFer. The best hardly rotate. They control their rotation. They hit against their lower half Bobby. They are not Michelle Kwan wanna-bes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee