barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Ray, I teach what I see and feel.. Do you have a clip of yourself swinging live from 15, 10 ,5, 3 ??? years ago trying to match ?

6QMamp0.gif

Rich is a fraud and I guess thats my fault for no video correct ??

Here is Rich's video showing a match 😂 Maybe had you felt the pattern differences you would know what the hell to look for instead of questioning me !!

FaMpaSK.gif

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
It's crazy folks were able to figure this sh!t out without video.. What were they looking/feeling for ? ttb, Early bat speed, One legged, etc ?? As we can see video is worthless if you don't know what the hell to look for !!

FaMpaSK.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Good video. Thank you for sharing. My favorite part of the video was the section when he was talking about pitch guessing (educated guesses). That's a part of hitting that is not often discussed.

Sounds like another Jose Bautista story. Coaches try to widen him out, ‘get in the legs more’. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard coaches take away a players timing through their stance. That’s one mistake I’ve never made. I’ve made many others, just not that one. 😆

Apr 11, 2015
Here's what I keyed in on in the video...and thanks for posting it btw, nice to hear affirmation, and confirmation of what I've been thinking/doing all along.

Key point times in the video:
4:45 - "You're like, my hands are right here (at his ear), and you raise them up to here (just above his ear), and you feel like they're up here you know (as he raises his hands well over his head)"
....which I think is a very good point that we need to be careful when asking our hitters to make big wholesale changes in their swings. What he think are only small moves or changes...can feel like huge changes for our hitters, and that their response or resulting move(s) to them might not be exactly what we expected, or as "little" of a tweak or change that we might believe it to be.

5:50 - "I think that with just having the thought process, my body just followed suit in a way"
Exactly, and why I know use more cues, and mental teaching of the preferred bat/barrel movement, paths, and goals, because as Christian states slightly differently...."Where the mind goes, the body will follow". I truly believe that, and have had much success with that both in my personal, and those I work with in various disciplines, not just hitting.

25:50 - "Right, and to touch on the swing up thing; for me I've never been on the swing up thing, I think that the wrong...I think people misconstrue like hitting the ball in the air with swinging up. Swinging up has absolutely nothing to do with hitting the ball in the air. Actually, you're probably going to be a really bad hitter if you swing up."
My thoughts as well, and I hope the folks don't misconstrue getting the barrel "behind" the ball (by TTB if one wants to say that) with "swinging up", or some sort of desired launch angle for that matter. The proper "launch angle" is whatever it is that matches the plane of the incoming ball that it's trying to hit.

28:00 (This was more Plouffe, but Yelich agreed) "You talked about...beca...you know, having kind of an upper cut swing you're gonna be in and out of the zone very quickly, and your swing stays in the zone. Gets in the zone early, and stays in the zone long, and that's kind of...when you watch good hitters, that's what they do."
This is exactly it. I don't care if a hitter is thinking swing up, swing down, swing behind, swing forwards, backwards, rearward, skywards, whatever wards....as long as whatever they're thinking....they're getting the barrel into the zone early, and creating a path that allows it to stay in and through it as long as possible.

Anyway, just my take on the pretty cool video...thanks again for posting it.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sounds like another Jose Bautista story. Coaches try to widen him out, ‘get in the legs more’. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard coaches take away a players timing through their stance. That’s one mistake I’ve never made. I’ve made many others, just not that one. 😆

My favorite is when coaches try to remove someone's stride... Teach them to control the stride better, but don't take it away from them.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My thoughts as well, and I hope the folks don't misconstrue getting the barrel "behind" the ball (by TTB if one wants to say that) with "swinging up", or some sort of desired launch angle for that matter. The proper "launch angle" is whatever it is that matches the plane of the incoming ball that it's trying to hit.

This is exactly it. I don't care if a hitter is thinking swing up, swing down, swing behind, swing forwards, backwards, rearward, skywards, whatever wards....as long as whatever they're thinking....they're getting the barrel into the zone early, and creating a path that allows it to stay in and through it as long as possible.

In my opinion the entire launch angle philosophy has distorted what "swinging up" actually is. This hitter is swinging up, but it is more along the lines of the Ted Williams "slightly up" philosophy. It seems like a lot of people envision swinging up to be much steeper than this.

Jk742A6.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812