Barrel-Forearm Alignment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The problem is that the typical "bat-lag" approach includes pushing the hands forward, which moves the center of rotation for the barrel, and may make it more difficult to achieve bat-forearm alignment. Early barrel speed and a deep turn leads to the position you see Khris Davis in (bottom right in the pic above). You can't get there if you lag and push.

I'm not sure how much velocity penalty there is for getting to alignment early and carrying that velocity through contact, but I suspect that's a better trade-off than being late. One thing I also see with hitters (including my DD) who aren't getting to alignment before contact, is that the hands often are moving left around the body and pulling the barrel laterally across the ball during contact, which costs power.

Deep acceleration, Early barrel speed and a deep turn (rotational point)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Based on where the hands are, and the position of the barrel, I would assume this was a push swing. Do you have video of the full swing?

No, I just happened to find that pic. She might be "short" to the ball (inside the ball) vs quick to the pitch plane (early batspeed, deep HPP).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
You have to remember as well that most MLB videos/pics you are going to pull off the web are going to be of balls that are hit well.....;)

Edit: Also I am sure you can find well hit balls that don't have this orientation as sometimes adjustments need to be made
which might compromise optimal bat speed in order to actually get the barrel to the ball.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
You have to remember as well that most MLB videos/pics you are going to pull off the web are going to be of balls that are hit well.....;)

Edit: Also I am sure you can find well hit balls that don't have this orientation as sometimes adjustments need to be made
which might compromise optimal bat speed in order to actually get the barrel to the ball.

For sure. Even good hitters have less-than-ideal swings pretty regularly. Getting the stick on the rock is still job #1.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28