Ball Hits Batter......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
So question - saw a game yesterday where the batter was a slapper and she got called on a 3rd strike swinging as she’s moving toward the pitcher. The catcher catches the ball and quickly attempts to fire down to 1B to try and pick the BR off. The catcher throws the ball and it deflects off of the slapper’s helmet into RF as she just stops her forward motion after swinging. BR scores from 1B.

What is the correct call in this situation? Crazy play.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If the batter has already struck out, why is the catcher throwing to 1B to pick off the BR (batter-runner)? I'm confused by the wording on your description.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So question - saw a game yesterday where the batter was a slapper and she got called on a 3rd strike swinging as she’s moving toward the pitcher. The catcher catches the ball and quickly attempts to fire down to 1B to try and pick the BR off. The catcher throws the ball and it deflects off of the slapper’s helmet into RF as she just stops her forward motion after swinging. BR scores from 1B.

What is the correct call in this situation? Crazy play.

Question - how did it hit the slappers helmet if she is throwing to first? Isn't the slapper way out in front of the throw to 1B?

If your description is right there is going to be no call/live ball. If she has just finished her swing and the catcher has quickly thrown and hit her, there is no call to be made. Batter has to be allowed to swing her bat and naturally play at the ball even if she misses.

If the batter did something after swinging to get in the way of the play (which doesn't require intent but also there is a judgement on whether she COULD have got out of the way), then you have an interference call. Since the batter is already out (strikeout) then the out will be I believe will be the runner closest to home. Need to look that up when I get a chance.

May 27, 2013
Thanks for the replies. Yes, batter was doing her typical slap hitter motion where she moves toward pitcher and swings. Base runner on 1B took a lead after pitch. Quick snap throw by catcher. Hit batter in helmet just as she stopped her forward motion.

Oct 11, 2018
It is confusing though how a slapper in the front of the box is hit by a throw going to 1st base. Seems like she would be way out of the throwing lane.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It is confusing though how a slapper in the front of the box is hit by a throw going to 1st base. Seems like she would be way out of the throwing lane.

My thought exactly. If B stopped running toward P, how is she in the path of a throw to 1B?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802