Ball exit velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2012
Thomaston,GA
Its very valuable to me. My DD has a tendency to swing around and we have been working on swinging out. Its good to show her how much faster the ball exits when she gets extension. Shes a 14U player and stands 5'1" and weighs 115.

Its just part of the process , we don't overemphasize it because as mentioned before if you don't use a proper swing then it means nothing.

Her EV peak is 61 mph with a consistent speed of 55-58 Which is a big improvement from 48-52 late last year. She set some goals and does exercises to increase her strength and bat speed.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Her EV peak is 61 mph with a consistent speed of 55-58 Which is a big improvement from 48-52 late last year. She set some goals and does exercises to increase her strength and bat speed.

That's neat that she has improved that much. That's roughly 20 percent improvement since 'late last year'.

Are these EV's off tee?

I also should ask if you're seeing more power in games since her ascent from 48-52 to 61, although I guess that mostly in the off-season, so perhaps she hasn't batted much live lately.

Oct 22, 2012
Thomaston,GA
Yes off a tee. There was a lot of low hanging fruit because she was swinging around her body with little extension. She was also cutting across the ball. Lots of advice,from here, about getting the hips and sequence correct was also a huge help.

She hasn't batted much live this year but in another thread i had mentioned that she wasn't using the same swing live that she uses in BP . I have since begun pitching live to her to give her more game like pressure.

I film alot of her sessions so its easy to see the things that need working on.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
If you dig around the nfca site you can find results for last years camps and and links to averages for what is tested at each administered camp.

Sorry, this only shows for HS and College player averages but it is a benchmark and a target.

8. Bat Speed measured by the Swing Speed Radar
The test protocol requires the athlete to use their game bat to hit 5 line drives off a batting tee into a net. The bat speed is recorded in mph. Average bat speed for high school softball is approximately 55 mph; NCAA softball is approximately 70 mph.

9. Batted Ball Velocity measured with a radar gun
This test measures batted-ball velocity with a radar gun at the same time as bat speed is assessed. After each swing, the test administrator will record the athlete’s bat speed and the batted-ball velocity in mph. The emphasis is to maximize bat speed and generate batted-ball velocity that is equal to or greater than their bat speed. Average batted-ball velocity for high school softball is approximately 55 mph; NCAA softball is approximately 70 mph.

This is from a 2011 results pdf

Oct 14, 2008
They are pretty much spot on for the college swing speed, the bev seems a little questionable, for the most part I have seen that number just a little lower than swing speed. Still some great all around info though

If you dig around the nfca site you can find results for last years camps and and links to averages for what is tested at each administered camp.

Sorry, this only shows for HS and College player averages but it is a benchmark and a target.

This is from a 2011 results pdf

Funny I thought a batted ball left the bat at a faster speed? So if your swing speed avg. was 55 MPH then batted ball velocity or exit speed would be greater?

May 18, 2009
DD is 11 turning 12 soon. She averaged a steady 52. Her top was 54. One girl I know is 13 and she is at 70.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just remember a high exit speed does not mean. The hitter has a swing worth a crap.

True. One can have a 'bat drag' ridden swing and have decent ball-exit-speed, but that particular swing isn't going to take the player far in the game.

On the other hand, slow ball-exit-speed can be indicative of a 'crap' (your usage) swing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K