Bailing out-need an intervention

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2011
DD is 13 and playing fall ball. Having a terrible time at the plate. She's moving her feet and bailing even before the pitch is released. Struggling with live pitching hammers it at the batting cages. Does great with soft toss and tee work but gets in the box and has happy feet.

It's always been an issue but it's gotten worse this Fall. During the regular season it wasn't as apparent. We are at a loss. She knows she's doing it and all her coaches telling her to keep still, stop bailing, step towards the pitcher. All are making matters worse. She's starting to get very anxious at practice and games.

We need help. She's the number one pitcher and afraid her anxiety about batting is going to carry over into her pitching.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Get a 1" x 8" x 6' board and have her stand on it for batting practice against live pitching. If she steps off the board she will feel herself stepping out and can work to correct it.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Quit everything, except front toss. Make it fun. Bounce tennis balls in for her to hit. Do small ball drills. Build her up. I bet she can do it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When my DD was younger I used to get so frustrated by her stepping out that I wanted to put a dog training collar on her that I could ZAP her with every time she stepped out.....good thing my DW intervened or I might be in prison right now!

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
When my DD was younger I used to get so frustrated by her stepping out that I wanted to put a dog training collar on her that I could ZAP her with every time she stepped out.....good thing my DW intervened or I might be in prison right now!

WHAT - We can't do that????? Dang it. I've been watching the Dog Whisperer and getting really great coaching tips. :cool:

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Just a thought...

When I see a girl with feet all over I generally would say they are not starting their lower body early enough. Whatever her lower body mechanics or whatever her trigger is, she probably needs to start it sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0AlTsey6MI

Another option...

Rather than revamping the world, maybe have her start open and then close up as the pitch approaches...this little move has done wonders for one of my students in terms of having a more functional lower half...CP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom