Bad Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Good try.
Not me..
I hear what you're saying though.
Been through this long ago
I get it.

I meant no offense by that, but sometimes parents turn coaches off. Some are a$$h0les, some are trying to help, but are actually interfering in the coaching. Especially when scouts are in the area, parents will lose their mind.

I was doing a prescout and watched a girl take a pipe shot for strike three with the bases loaded. Her coach was trying to talk to her and her mom, whom I'm sure was trying to be supportive since her daughter looked bad in front of scouts, ran over interrupted the coach to say, "Was that pitch outside, honey? It looked outside." The daughter ignored the coach to say, "Yeah... way outside."

Three things came to light...
A. I want to see how coachable you are. (ignores the coach for mom)
B. I want to see how you bounce back after a failure. (makes excuses...ball was not outside)
C. Parents are going to interfere.

I'm letting someone else deal with this.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I have another thing for you to reflect on... Sometimes the RESULT isn't what the coach/scout is looking for, but it's the PROCESS.

I saw a pitcher dominate a very strong line up, but she threw straight heat and blew it past the batters, but she threw every pitch over the heart of the plate. Sure, when she was 0-2 she threw a rise ball out of the zone, but other than that she struck out a bunch and never walked anyone. The coach I was working with said, "This is never going to work in the ______ Conference. College hitters are going to hit her all over the park." She did sign D1 but opponents have a .300+ average against her, and she can't blow the ball by college hitters like she did in travel ball.

Just another piece of your puzzle to think about.

Mar 26, 2016
I think they are a ton of variables for camps/catching a coaches eye, some it’s size, some it’s the jersey you are wearing. My first thought instead of it being size would be maybe they were already done with that class?
There are some coaches that run the “eye test” that has to do with size, but I think that approach is trending away.
I think wearing a certain jersey will get you more looks than most other variables.
We have been to many camps across the country and you notice why the great coaches are great. There camps they are taking numbers on all kids, watching all groups. Someone mentioned above about the live game play. If you feel your kid doesn’t “stand out” those are the camps I would suggest going to.

Nov 18, 2013
I think they are a ton of variables for camps/catching a coaches eye, some it’s size, some it’s the jersey you are wearing. My first thought instead of it being size would be maybe they were already done with that class?
There are some coaches that run the “eye test” that has to do with size, but I think that approach is trending away.
I think wearing a certain jersey will get you more looks than most other variables.
We have been to many camps across the country and you notice why the great coaches are great. There camps they are taking numbers on all kids, watching all groups. Someone mentioned above about the live game play. If you feel your kid doesn’t “stand out” those are the camps I would suggest going to.

At one time jerseys held significance. Now I think there’s only a handful of programs where the jersey means anything. Franchising and programs adding B and C level teams have killed the value of their brand name for recruiting. They’re making more money this way and I guess that’s where their importance is.