Bad Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Fact is, College softball is a non-revenue sport that in the minds of some AD's, is only around because of Title IX. So as long as the softball coach keeps the girls safe and the program drama-free, they can keep their job regardless of W's and L's. Of course the coach catches on to this fact and many will ride it as long as they can. So there's no real incentive for them to get better or to try something outside of their normal MO. Just ride the wave of "tenure" to retirement.

Jan 28, 2017
The shorter kids that pitch D1 played for great TB teams or at least the ones I know. I wonder how they were chosen on the team to begin with. Dad knows someone or just that impressive in the tryout. Once they are on the team and beat everyone it seems easy to get to your school of choice. My DD will not wow you in a camp setting until they start seeing movement. I think her location is her strongest advantage but that doesn't come out in a camp.

May 29, 2015
You make some great points.
I just wonder how some of these coaches manage to make the same mistakes year after year and skate by. In the world of business if you don't constantly evolve you get left behind. Seems like coaching doesn't follow that paradigm.

Because their ADs are making the same mistake with that coach that the coach is making with that player.

As for the world of business ... no, it really isn’t that different. Failing upward and fake it till you make it are alive and well.

Many CEOs think they are rock stars and surround themselves with people that benefit them, rather than people that benefit the company. They are looking to extend their tenure and what will do that, rather than building the long term success of the organization after them. And then we all act astonished when things go horribly wrong and the scandals start. Sound familiar?

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
While we all like to believe this to be true and it is what we’re always being told, I sometimes doubt it‘s always the case.
Hmmm? is anything ALWAYS the case.

Simply, more factors than size or coach to this discussion of results.

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Part of it could be that the two pitchers weren't 6 feet tall.

Coaches need to open their eyes and stop searching for genetic traits that honestly have zero to do with success.

what makes you convinced that your 2 pitchers heights were to blame for lack of attention?

Jul 14, 2018
I wonder how much of the size bias has to do with the tools they're using to measure prospects. DD went to a top D2 prospect camp last fall, and I could see that they immediately separated the big bigger girls. The coaches and players helping were all armed with Pocket Radars. Their only metrics were velocity and eyeballs.

DD will never stand out in that crowd. But hand her a RevFire or Diamond Kinetics and she's spinning the ball at 18 rps. Has anyone seen a Rapsodo at a prospect camp?

Apr 28, 2014
what makes you convinced that your 2 pitchers heights were to blame for lack of attention?
Coaches were enamored by 6 foot pitchers who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and throw 55.. their roster is stacked with giant pitchers who are tanner tees.
Same kids we demolish 2-3 times a summer. Play long enough and ya get to know the kids at the level your DD plays

Feb 17, 2014
I wonder how much of the size bias has to do with the tools they're using to measure prospects. DD went to a top D2 prospect camp last fall, and I could see that they immediately separated the big bigger girls. The coaches and players helping were all armed with Pocket Radars. Their only metrics were velocity and eyeballs.

DD will never stand out in that crowd. But hand her a RevFire or Diamond Kinetics and she's spinning the ball at 18 rps. Has anyone seen a Rapsodo at a prospect camp?

I know of 1 college asst. coach that loves the Rapsodo and it was used heavily at camps. That coach has moved on so I am interested to see if it gets used at the same school now.

Back to the original post. Is it possible that this school knew these players were out of their league so they didn't see any sense in recruiting them?

Apr 28, 2014
I should have been more articulate in my point above. Not all D1 schools discrimiate against shorter pitchers. However some in my area who do tend to have horrible records and do the same thing over and over. I know they see size and think about what they could unlock... makes sense but the last 10 years they've been doing the same thing and can't win games. Maybe rethink your strategy. UCLA showed that Garcia can win at 5' 6" tall. Two years ago Old Miss did the same.

Apr 28, 2014
Back to the original post. Is it possible that this school knew these players were out of their league so they didn't see any sense in recruiting them?

It could very well be that however I look at their rosters and they are loaded with tall pitchers who can't execute pitch sets or win games. Tall pitchers are awesome! Some are uninhabitable but so are shorter kids. My DD is 5' 7" so not short per say but I see 5' kids constantly being overlooked at some camps . Makes ya wonder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598