Backswing and center of gravity.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I have been playing in front of the mirror and if I get my center of gravity completely over my back leg before starting the backswing then my shoulders don't let the ball get trapped behind my back. If I let my COG stay between my legs when rapidly shifting weight then I can turn my shoulders back and the ball can go behind my back on the backswing. I have interpreted the mechanics to be unweight front foot then weight it and drive. Not necessarily COG. I bet that I have not been doing it correctly.

Feedback?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think there are a few ways to describe what you are saying. The one word I keyed on was rapidly, I don’t think anything happens rapidly in the backswing.

For my DD I ask her to get her weight behind the pitching plate before she starts her backswing, same as getting the weight on her back foot. A lot of pitchers do that shoulder turn were that face 2nd base then come around. I think that is OK too but it is done rather legerity.

Jun 18, 2010
Three words:

Javasource Pushback Drill.

ConsciousFastAlligator_sm3_zpszq3udncq.gif

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I have interpreted the mechanics to be unweight front foot then weight it and drive. Not necessarily COG. I bet that I have not been doing it correctly.

Yes, this is right. I might edit that and say, "weight it while driving". The COG should be moving forward, though. You never want to get your COG over your backfoot. When this happens, MOST people get their arm circle ahead of their legs... the backswing starts before body momentum is heading forward, and you typically end up with zero overlap, a longer backswing, and poor timing... which, depending on the backswing mechanics... leads to the shoulders opening.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Thanks, interested in hearing more about backswing mechanics as my kid gets the ball trapped behind her back and I'm thinking it shouldn't be? Should she be taking it back and thinking keep it away from her body?

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks, interested in hearing more about backswing mechanics as my kid gets the ball trapped behind her back and I'm thinking it shouldn't be? Should she be taking it back and thinking keep it away from her body?

A JavaSource comment:

JavaSource said:
the forward momentum pulls against the backswing...
"Overlap"

Mar 12, 2009
It might be the camera angle but her backswing looks pretty darn good to me. I can tell her hand goes a little behind her body but it doesn't look like it causes her arm circle any issues. I actually think people have more issues when their hand gets away from their body on the backswing. Heck, she looks really good overall to me!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think the arm going behind the body is due to an effort to get open during the drive. I prefer the effort be to drive forward then let the body open as a result.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
One thing I am going to share is that it has been brought to my attention big time to look at my daughters hip flexors tightness and whether she is using them properly. After doing a simple youtube test, I have a much better understanding on the role that the hip flexors play and the movement that they should be capable of. It very evident in this video (and the 20 I went back and reviewed) that she is not using her hips properly, heck her hip flexors won't even stretch like they should.

Thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2