Background checks are needed for Travelball coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I believe I was background checked when I started coaching. Yes, it doesn't catch everyone. But it would certainly catch some.

Nov 18, 2015
As far as being a coach, my DD and I coached a 12u LL baseball team this past season. I made it known to the parents that I would not pick up or take any kids home if my DD was not with me. I would never be alone with their kids. That should be a staple!
The politics of everything aside, and as bmakj referenced, much (most? all?) of the abuses within the Catholic Church and other organizations could be avoided following the BSA-rule of "no one-on-one" contact. (2-deep leadership is more an safety requirement, the no one-on-one is specific to avoiding child abuse).

I can't speak for other's situations, but it really should be that simple - don't leave your child alone with an adult, and don't be left alone with a child. Easier when Mom or Dad is the coach and their kid is with them, but it's still an absolute for me. It's something I addressed at our parents meeting, and I discussed before hand with my AC's.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It's obviously been covered, but a background check wouldn't have done a thing for this. I

Do you know that's true? I agree that a background check isn't a guarantee, but someone who would violently rape and threaten like this has probably some markers in their background and/or their personality. I routinely see coaches who I wouldn't let my DD near simply because they give off a clear "I'm sketchy" vibe.

Not only do I avoid being alone with any kid, I work to avoid conversations where my DD, a parent, or another coach aren't in position to also hear what I'm saying. DD inadvertently left me alone with one of her friends a couple of weeks ago. I called her back to where we were, and later explained what her role is in shielding me from an accusation.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
I made it known to the parents that I would not pick up or take any kids home if my DD was not with me. I would never be alone with their kids. That should be a staple!

This is a rule for both our travel organization and our rec league. In that case, we are also protecting the coaches but it goes both ways.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
This just hit the news in central Fl. . Wow, my DD played against this team numerous times. Gotta have background checks.

Atl Vipers org coach. Travelball coach raped a player for years: article

Prayers for the player and family.

Whenever I give an individual or small group lesson I always and without exception require the player(s) to have an adult both of us agree with present for the entire time. Under no circumstances do I allow the player to be "dropped off" and picked up later..

This also covers illness or injury.

Jul 29, 2016
There are different levels of background checks. I use them all the time in my work. Some are a half-page long, and some detail every single interaction with the court system (guilty or not), credit ratings, insurance claims, known affiliations, relatives, etc.. I've seen background checks as long as 50 pages. I'm not convinced the "a background check wouldn't have helped."

Also, while I agree that the parents need to be diligent, I am a bit concerned that we seem to be dismissing this horrible event with an admonishment of the parents. Its easy to Monday-morning quarterback this and suggest that they dropped the ball somehow, but if we're giving the organization the benefit of the doubt, let's do the same for the parents.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Do you know that's true? I agree that a background check isn't a guarantee, but someone who would violently rape and threaten like this has probably some markers in their background and/or their personality. I routinely see coaches who I wouldn't let my DD near simply because they give off a clear "I'm sketchy" vibe.

Not only do I avoid being alone with any kid, I work to avoid conversations where my DD, a parent, or another coach aren't in position to also hear what I'm saying. DD inadvertently left me alone with one of her friends a couple of weeks ago. I called her back to where we were, and later explained what her role is in shielding me from an accusation.

I would be 99% sure. Because of the organization they have played in big national championships. PGF and USA require background checks and I would bet USSSA WFC does as well.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Be suspect of any coach that would allow themselves to be put in a situation where they are alone with a player.

This is the key statement and it seems most replying on here understand this. I have never put myself in a position to be alone with a player and would not allow my DD to be in that position. It is a good way to avoid this issue.

It also can avoid even the slightest appearance of wrong doing. We have teen daughters and know how mean some girls can be. Even in a perfectly innocent situation a rumor can be started over social media in a few seconds.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I hate to say I am not overly surprised by this one in the least.

@riseball has it right. Proper parenting is a big deal. Make sure the org does do what they can check (we do a deep background which costs more, we interview potential coaches, get references and then monitor all our teams - I am not sure there is more we could legitimately do). If you get a bad feeling, listen to it. Make sure the AC are held to the same standard. Having the discussion with your kid on this and other incidents to make sure they know this is not normal or OK. Don't let your kid play with shady people because they 'know softball'.

The stories about some major org presidents/head coaches are WELL known locally - but parents let their kids play on their teams. It is #*@!#!(ed up. I wish it was just here, but when I travel to other areas of the country, the only thing that changes are the names of those involved.

Had one parent ask about one of these guys this season for their 14U DD - I walked them through the news articles, the story, had people verify it... and they still let their kid join the team. I mean WTF? The self delusion and justifications on why were unbelievable.

Great post. It is hard to believe some people are this brain dead that they would knowingly put their DD in a position like this. I know of a well known org that let a coach do lessons out of their building AFTER being fired from his college job for misconduct with a player. How could you let a guy that used his position over a young player get back into a building full of young players.

Sep 29, 2014
Background checks are no substitute for proper parenting. It is up to you to look out for your own. Never let your kid near any adult when it is only the two of them. No rides home, or to the game. Be suspect of any coach that would allow themselves to be put in a situation where they are alone with a player.
This is the right answer!! As a coach you are simply never alone with one of your players unless it is at the field in full view of everyone or anyone that can drive by a see, usually DD is in tow but if not and their ride is not there I'm calling parent, second number then if still no answer emergency contact.

Also in todays environment you need to make 100% certain YOU are aware of the custody arrangements of your players, I have had several players want to go home with Dad because he came by and watched practice and Mom was not there yet but Dad does NOT have custody or can't be on unsuprvised visits you wait until Mom shows up! Also I don't let kids go home with other kids on the team unless the other parents have already OKed doesn't matter if they are cousins or not you ask first...usually at the begining of the season who is it OK to let the child go with. Once it's 16U and kids are driving this starts to become a lot more muddled but I still ask upfront if there are any situations going on that I need to know about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802