Back Pick's YES! or no?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Yes. Love it. But just throw the damn ball. I hate the staring down the runner and then throwing. Or the pump fakes. Love the back pick off a ball in the dirt, because the runner is leaning a bit more Looking to see if it got past.
You know what else I like. Runner on first ground ball, throw goes to first and first
Immediately throws behind the runner who is going to second. My dd caught several runners taking that relaxed step off second

Mar 6, 2016
RAD, you would have been proud of our two catchers today (one is my DD). I usually call the back picks, but I also give them the green light if they see it and think they can get the runner.

We had 2 games today (different teams) and we got 5 total. 3 in the first game and 2 in the 2nd game. 4 at third base and 1 at first base. I LOVE getting out of jams by picking runners off 3rd. We should have had another at 3rd but dropped the ball on the tag.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
RAD, you would have been proud of our two catchers today (one is my DD). I usually call the back picks, but I also give them the green light if they see it and think they can get the runner.

We had 2 games today (different teams) and we got 5 total. 3 in the first game and 2 in the 2nd game. 4 at third base and 1 at first base. I LOVE getting out of jams by picking runners off 3rd. We should have had another at 3rd but dropped the ball on the tag.
WOOHOO !!!
Quigs10 Thanks for sharing your story of
RADNESS IN ACTION
its inspiring!

Strategy utilizing the
DEFENSE ON THE ATTACK !!! 👍

Apr 1, 2017
Trying to pick runners off is my daughters favorite part of catching. She'll get a couple every weekend, and occasionally ends up playing catch with the left or right fielder..... We don't call it, she has the green light, with us sometimes letting her know not to try in advance.

My favorite inning this weekend she threw out a runner trying to steal 2nd, picked off a girl at 3rd, and made a nice swipe tag on a throw home from LF that should have been out #3, but ump missed the call. Saved a lot of runs in an inning that pitcher was getting hit.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Trying to pick runners off is my daughters favorite part of catching.

She'll get a couple every weekend, and occasionally ends up playing catch with the left or right fielder..... We don't call it, she has the green light, with us sometimes letting her know not to try in advance.

My favorite inning this weekend she threw out a runner trying to steal 2nd, picked off a girl at 3rd, and made a nice swipe tag on a throw home from LF that should have been out #3, but ump missed the call. Saved a lot of runs in an inning that pitcher was getting hit.
Getting that out is great!
Also
Especially fun when it holds baserunners closer to the bases and its noticeable!!!

Last weekend a student catcher playing against Bat Busters Mike Stith 18u team (that has very aggressive base runners.)
The catcher was not going to have those baserunners take any advantage.
She was firing back pics.

What resulted?!?!
Runners were taking leads and having to dive back pitch after pitch. Got to the point they were diving back...Even when there was no throw.
At one point with runners on 1st & 2nd
Catcher fired a back pick to 1st and the runner
*on 2nd was diving back too!!!

Quick transition is an amazing weapon!

ZAP
LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT !!!

Oct 4, 2018

Yikes.

5 pick offs in 2 games? I'm impressed by your team but also kinda wondering what that other team is working on in practices this week. ;)

Mar 6, 2016
Yikes.

5 pick offs in 2 games? I'm impressed by your team but also kinda wondering what that other team is working on in practices this week. ;)

LOL, what's funny is that in the recording of the one game you can hear their fans/ a mom yell out "Oh no...not again? What going on? Why are we doing that?"

I have no idea what they were doing on 3rd. Not very good coaching for sure. I mean, if we get ya once...ok, fluke and they learn, but 3-4 times?

I guess maybe the runner at 3rd just wasn't expecting it or think someone would backpick...again...and again... lol

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Instead of doing endless pump fakes I tell my catchers to go over to the other teams dugout before the game and tell them that you have no confidence in your arm. Same message, different delivery. :)
Reading thru this post again found this ☝

Such a great point!

Funny and yep go do that and see the other teams reaction,
their laughter
just might provoke an actual throw ;)

Jun 21, 2021
Here is my favorite back pick by DD. It was in a 3-0 game her sophomore year of HS against one of our big rivals. Bases loaded, two outs, walk off back pick. No one expected a pick at 1B with a left handed batter. Ignore the loudmouth in the background. 😉

I love how the batter just drops her hands like "really?". I have a video of ODD'S home run and the other team's catcher does the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802