Back leg scissoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So is the torso being in control and doing most of the work, creates the reactive torque which creates the scissoring?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So is the torso being in control and doing most of the work, create the reactive torque which creates the scissoring?

The core torque is done reactively through the sequential load. But the decel(scissoring) is done actively with the back leg or front hip. I find it easiest to use the back leg.

The force is produced and used very cleanly and efficiently. All this is happening so fast during launch that it is hard to see. It’s easiest to see on outside pitches because of the longer arc of swing.

Look at the pelvic tilt into launch. Major deceleration checkpoint. That’s the hips turning and stopping. Not sure if I answered your question?

This isn’t something that is used for more ‘force’. It’s used to be as tight as possible in your ‘turn’ and direction. Force production imo is reserved for athleticism, strength, intent and overall skill level. I am not a proponent of swing your hardest. I am of the school of put a good swing on it. For some that would be 75%, for others it might be 95-100%. Everyone needs to find their best ‘operating’ speed.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Miggy did it a lot:
source.gif

giphy.gif

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Throw a frisbee or a bat as far as you can. Your hips stop or decel or if you throw it real hard reverse rotate and the shoulders get catapulted/rotated/ flung/whipped. The shoulders are of course connected to the arms/hands holding the bat. Some would say that then the hands decel and the bat/barrel then gets whipped. And it might be true for some hitters, not all.

Also part of the reason for the scissoring is the body seeking balance. (naturally)

But trying to teach a 10 or 12 year old girl to scissor is a tall order.

Girls that have participated in gymnastics, dancing and/or martial arts have a advantage when it comes to core strength and balance and may scissor naturally.

WW said I find it easiest to use the back leg. I am interested. Please explain.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
I don't post often in hitting but in the last few months I watched Jose Altuve discuss leg scissors in an interview. I will try to find it and post if I can dig it up.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Scissoring is not for everyone. It is not an absolute. It’s just helps transmit force through the system faster/cleaner. It gives the core its tightest quickest X factor load/unload due to the restraint of the radius of rotation of the core.

It can help create a better feel. Its doing less while creating more. One must move from the middle though. One must be balanced. One must have a good sequence. Otherwise scissoring will inhibit the hitters abilities.

I teach them to get balanced/sequenced first. Then I will teach them a reciprocal movement to enhance their rotation acceleration and kinetic ‘chain’.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Scissoring is not for everyone. It is not an absolute. It’s just helps transmit force through the system faster/cleaner. It gives the core its tightest quickest X factor load/unload due to the restraint of the radius of rotation of the core.

It can help create a better feel. Its doing less while creating more. One must move from the middle though. One must be balanced. One must have a good sequence. Otherwise scissoring will inhibit the hitters abilities.

I teach them to get balanced/sequenced first. Then I will teach them a reciprocal movement to enhance their rotation acceleration and kinetic ‘chain’.
WW said I find it easiest to use the back leg. I am interested. Please explain.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

This would be a deceleration of the pelvis.
Watch the pelvis slow down and stop and thrust, in turn the core/chest speeds up and stops. And the lead arm is catapulted towards the ball, lastly the hands decel and the bat is whipped through the ball.

The feeling is the core ‘launching’ and the hips deceling or stopping which in turn catapults the core forward. Reciprocal movements or ‘balanced’ rotation. Which can sometimes create ‘reversed rotation’.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom