Back leg scissoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I was hitting off the tee, focusing on my back foot being staked into the ground during my positive move and the scissoring happened. I didn't try it, it was not the point of the drill, it just happened.

You can see in the Trout gif above.. his back foot is anchored, his back leg gets long during his positive move, he scissors as a result.

Yup. Keeping the back foot down and the back knee ‘back’ should ER the back hip while the the mass takes out the remaining slack, which is how Trout transfers energy up the chain.

Head to toe stretch ... remaining in the back heel and maintaining that while the mass moves forward loads the hips while the upper has torqued and is primed to receive this energy. The hips remaining ‘closed’ until the slack is out is paramount.

Once the hips have ‘centered’ or ‘opened’ or have removed the slack, the core rotates against the hips stoppage.. or anchor affect.. some think the hips rotate.. but in reality, they get rotated...as well as the back leg and back foot... the lead arm goes through the same process in relation to the core and the hands to the lead arm and the bat to the hands.

The better one can take the slack out of the hips, the better the transfer up the chain. Effortless bat speed. A pretty good checkpoint imo is pelvic tilt. It’s the cores rotation pulling the pelvis up from a good force transfer.

I’m still working on my description of this. But it’s getting better. 😀

Jun 8, 2016
Some hitters with less than optimal (or even poor) mechanics scissor..not sure it would be something I would be focusing on.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Some hitters with less than optimal (or even poor) mechanics scissor..not sure it would be something I would be focusing on.

Good point. The sequence is first and foremost imo. Taking slack out or loading is second imo. Direction and adjustability would be last. In reality it’s all one thing to make it work.

With that being said, scissoring is the amount of energy one has transferred more than anything. Some just kick back a bit which is fine. What we don’t want is the hips rotating past 90 degrees. Means there is no brakes, minimal direction and poor energy transfer. Just rotating can work until it doesn’t, usually at the upper levels of travel ball when pitchers can locate and change speeds consistently.

Jul 29, 2013
Scissoring is simply a natural balancing mechanism when the shoulders rotate ahead of the pelvis.
Not much of a teach. Nothing special as long as you keep the hands back and the bat deep that can be said about all swing types. It's just using more core than legs to drive the swing.
Both use rotational acceleration to get the bat head out.
What's debatable is whether it's better, not as good, or the same. Probably depends most on what you practice.
I like my kids to stretch the core by opening the hips first and then use the legs to drive the swing, and finish the swing by rotating the shoulders past the pelvis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449