Back foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I'm always willing to learn....now what I did here was strictly focus on his back toe and ran the clip with my finger on the pause buton. As soon as I noticed his back toe moving forward (it does) I paused, guess what its at contact. I'm not saying some don't but it is just really rare. As far as Romero I actually looked at several different video and they do seem to vary but she does seem to be more anchored than most but when she wants maximum power in her swing....see below...just sayin. Mind you I am not saying it is something you have to focus on intensely it's just something that will happen if all your other mechanics are correct and if you are not doing it I have no problem prompting with a make sure you are giving a good push off hard with your instep as you initiate the swing cue

What i am amazed at in the video is she never hooks one of them.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why would you try and hold your foot on the ground? You want to apply pressure to the instep at the right time which for most elite hitters is after toe touch and at the latest once the heel has dropped (it is just a split second but it seems to be the go spot); better to get some type of force exerting in the direction you want to be going then trying to drag an anchor....but what do I know. Although we could just be talking past each other as I never advocated heel up prior to toe touch everything still needs to be in sequence. You can say it's a no teach fine but then what are you teaching ? hip rotation?...exactly how are you getting powerful hip rotation without really strong pressure against the ground....anyway I'm happy to keep going around in circles but in the end I'm fairly convinced we are all talking about the same thing just describing it differently but whatever floats your boat.

What happens within the rear hip prior to toe touch? In many cases young hitters either do not coil properly, or they uncoil too soon (bleed). The act of coiling essentially drives the foot into the ground more. At the point of launch everything snaps and the rear foot is released to do whatever; scissor, lift, etc. The note below @efastball post is key.

My DD was taught the "toe's to China" thing. Took a long time to break it...

May 12, 2016
What happens within the rear hip prior to toe touch? In many cases young hitters either do not coil properly, or they uncoil too soon (bleed). The act of coiling essentially drives the foot into the ground more. At the point of launch everything snaps and the rear foot is released to do whatever; scissor, lift, etc. The note below @efastball post is key.

My DD was taught the "toe's to China" thing. Took a long time to break it...
I taught my DD to skip it forward (still gives me nightmares :)), same problem, it took a long to time to break. Not sure what it is about the back foot bad habits that are so hard to break. I think with my DD she was relying on that push to generate power into the ball, screwed her up for a long time and still seeps back in with the "bleed" type action you mentioned above.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I taught my DD to skip it forward (still gives me nightmares :)), same problem, it took a long to time to break. Not sure what it is about the back foot bad habits that are so hard to break. I think with my DD she was relying on that push to generate power into the ball, screwed her up for a long time and still seeps back in with the "bleed" type action you mentioned above.

Personally, I think focus on the rear foot takes focus away from the rear hip. The result is they don't get the rear hip right... DD's swing worked fine in 10u and 12u rec ball. It wasn't until she moved up to 14u travel ball that she started facing decent change ups. The problem became obvious at that point.

Sep 29, 2014
Again different descriptions maybe for girls that present different problems. Everything still MUST be in sequence, when discussing something like hips rotation IMO you are applying force on the ground to get maximum rotation...although would be interesting to study say a diver and gymnast to see how much rotation they get relative to pressure applied on the ground versus just in the air...I honestly don't know but might be interesting.. Good discussion though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee