Back door curves and screwballs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
I have been a member for a short period and have not seen any discussions about the back door curves and screwballs. My oldest DD used to use the back door curve and it was a very effective pitch for her. My youngest DD had a very effective back door screwball. Does anyone have an opinion on the effectiveness of the use of the back door pitches?I believe these to be somewhat forgotten pitches being taught to advanced pitchers.I welcome your comments on the subject.

May 12, 2008
They can be very effective because they are uncommon. Backspin at the knees is another effective pitch seldom seen.

May 13, 2008
I like them, especially against jumpy hitters. Get them to flinch and the ball crosses the plate for a strike. You kinda know you have them at that point.

May 7, 2008
DFW
I think at the younger ages the girls are afraid to try them for fear of hitting a batter. Can be very effective once you get the pitcher to throw them with confidence.

Jan 27, 2010
We would use the back door curve early on the right handed batter and get her attention then work the outside of the plate.The backdoor screw was used mostly as a strike out looking most of the time to the RH batter.The opposite for the left hand batter. It worked very well for both my right hand DDs.

Jan 13, 2009
Back door pitches are very effective on teams that have been trained to be patient in the batters box. Assuming a right handed batter, establish the traditional pitches first (outside curve, inside screw). If you find the batters have a tendancy to watch pitches, use the back door as a third strike looking pitch.

Now they don't know whether that inside pitch will be a tight screw or called strike and you've got 'em.

Be careful using this strategy on the big power hitters who have a tendancy to pull any ball thrown within a three state radius. They're just looking for any inside track.

Jan 27, 2010
Back door pitches are very effective on teams that have been trained to be patient in the batters box. Assuming a right handed batter, establish the traditional pitches first (outside curve, inside screw). If you find the batters have a tendancy to watch pitches, use the back door as a third strike looking pitch.

Now they don't know whether that inside pitch will be a tight screw or called strike and you've got 'em.

Be careful using this strategy on the big power hitters who have a tendancy to pull any ball thrown within a three state radius. They're just looking for any inside track.

Ditto on the pull power hitter.

Jan 20, 2010
We throw alot of low rise at the knees. Like to break them in to the righty. The power hitter and pull hitters either pop this pitch up or pull it foul, after they watch the first one thinking it will be in the dirt before it gets there. We will then throw a chase pitch away or up and in, and then come back and throw a screw that drops. We have tried the back door curve but seen this pitch get blasted a few times.

Jan 27, 2010
We throw alot of low rise at the knees. Like to break them in to the righty. The power hitter and pull hitters either pop this pitch up or pull it foul, after they watch the first one thinking it will be in the dirt before it gets there. We will then throw a chase pitch away or up and in, and then come back and throw a screw that drops. We have tried the back door curve but seen this pitch get blasted a few times.

Any pitch can be hit occasionally even the screw that drops. I've seen good pull hitters take them out of the park as with any other pitch that is thrown to the wrong batter.

Jan 20, 2010
Very , very true. My dd gets pissed when a ball gets hit. I tell her you know they do have a bat in there hand for a reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12