Back at it, feedback appreciated!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2014
Daughter has decided to pitch again! She quit for the last 2 years after frustration over her lack of control and is now ready to return at 16. We have learned together with the help of this forum no real instruction. I was never able to find a pitching coach that didn’t start with HE delivery... This video is the first time she has pitched in quite a while. Any thoughts would be appreciated. My first reaction is that she is late getting off the mound and dipping a lot at release. I see she is also leaping which we will work on. Thanks to all, excited to be a bucket dad again 👍🏻

Mar 6, 2018
based on my daughter's instruction and the feedback from pitch location i would do glove slam on left leg instead of right. then go up with glove to catcher holding a stop sign and bring glove back to side above the hip. also try to eliminate twisting the drive foot. my daughter has to start with right foot with heel up so she drives straight out then turns and leads with hip and stop sign. everything with the glove work effects timing. im sure others may disagree but that's the basic things my 10u daughter are focusing on.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My 2cents...
Drive mechanics is the area in need of the most improvement... Notice how her foot never really comes off the rubber? This is telling as to how shes not getting any thrust. Secondly, her ability to resist the excessive rotation of her torso throughout the release is why accuracy isn't where she'd like it to be...

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
I agree with James, it seems to me like that lack of drive is causing serious timing issues and no overlap at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 15, 2014
My 2cents...
Drive mechanics is the area in need of the most improvement... Notice how her foot never really comes off the rubber? This is telling as to how shes not getting any thrust. Secondly, her ability to resist the excessive rotation of her torso throughout the release is why accuracy isn't where she'd like it to be...

Thanks for the feedback. Confused by what you are saying about her foot never leaving the rubber. Are you referring to her drive foot while loading?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
James wouldn't the Stand Tall, Fall, Go....STFG Drill be a good start for the thrust issue?
Possibly.... I'd focus a bit more on the timing and sequence of the thrust.
1. Pay attention to the right toes as the ball and glove are oriented straight out towards the catcher (3:00 position) It's here, that we'd like to see the heel of her right foot coming straight up and over her toes and the detatchment off the rubber. This is typically a good starting point when addressing drive and sequence. Film her in slow motion and see where the ball is as her foot pulls away and off the rubber.
2. Get her out toward the catcher... I feel like she's a little too pre-occupied with getting up and open rather than outward.

Jul 9, 2016
Daughter has decided to pitch again! She quit for the last 2 years after frustration over her lack of control and is now ready to return at 16. We have learned together with the help of this forum no real instruction. I was never able to find a pitching coach that didn’t start with HE delivery... This video is the first time she has pitched in quite a while. Any thoughts would be appreciated. My first reaction is that she is late getting off the mound and dipping a lot at release. I see she is also leaping which we will work on. Thanks to all, excited to be a bucket dad again 👍🏻

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802