Average exit velocity by age

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2019
This is my exact line of thinking. To me exit velocity is over rated. DD is 5'3" and 125lbs and regularly hits the ball out now. SHe hit 6 off front toss at a camp Sunday over a 215' fence and 5 of the 6 were line drives.
How is exit velocity overrated?

A certain exit velocity is required for the ball to carry over the fence. The closer to optimal launch angle, the less exit velocity required.

If you mean that hitting home runs is overrated, that is a topic worthy of debate. Please clarify.

May 7, 2015
SoCal

A certain exit velocity is required for the ball to carry over the fence. The closer to optimal launch angle, the less exit velocity required.

If you mean that hitting home runs is overrated, that is a topic worthy of debate. Please clarify.

I think it can be partially "over rated" in that players can cheat their form to gain exit MPH... That cheated form doesn't necessarily help their in game hitting.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama

My point is people are chasing exit velocity verus other factors so I guess not overrated but rather over emphasized. The OP mentioned it was going to be used at a tryout. To me that is completely worthless. I guarantee that team would take a kid with a 65mph EV over a kid with a 55mph EV without any consideration for the fact that the one with the lower velocity can make consistent contact on the sweet spot. It does zero good to have an 80mph EV if only one out of ten pitches is barreled up. The kid with the lower EV will hit twice as many HR's as the other.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
My point is people are chasing exit velocity verus other factors so I guess not overrated but rather over emphasized. The OP mentioned it was going to be used at a tryout. To me that is completely worthless. I guarantee that team would take a kid with a 65mph EV over a kid with a 55mph EV without any consideration for the fact that the one with the lower velocity can make consistent contact on the sweet spot. It does zero good to have an 80mph EV if only one out of ten pitches is barreled up. The kid with the lower EV will hit twice as many HR's as the other.

Ha, setting up the straw man! Exit velocity isn't worthless, it is a metric that is used by coaches. Could there be a 65mph EV kid that hits twice the HR's as the 80 EV? Sure, but probably not... The metric is not everything, its one piece of the puzzle. The best bet to me, if you know that your DD is going to get tested, train for EV... It's not that hard and pretty big gains can happen over relatively short times.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Ha, setting up the straw man! Exit velocity isn't worthless, it is a metric that is used by coaches. Could there be a 65mph EV kid that hits twice the HR's as the 80 EV? Sure, but probably not... The metric is not everything, its one piece of the puzzle. The best bet to me, if you know that your DD is going to get tested, train for EV... It's not that hard and pretty big gains can happen over relatively short times.
Just saying there is more to hitting than launch angle and exit velocity. If you start chasing one you can hurt others. The biggest gains to DD's exit velocity came from the weight room. She learned how to hit a long time ago and worked on a good swing. She didn't chase the one thing or another. She chased hitting the ball on the sweet spot every swing. Just like a $400 bat will not help a $5 swing an 80mph exit velocity does no good when there is no contact or it is hit off the handle.

Instead of a 10yo worrying about exit velocity other metrics they should simply learn to hit the ball. A lot of the other stuff takes care of itself.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
I still think this bat speed is a very confusing statistic. The numbers posted earlier has an average bat speed that's higher than the exit velocity. When my daughter has been measured at camp her bat speed has been lower than her exit velocity. 58 bat speed 63 exit at one camp and 62 bat speed and 69 exit at another. The lower numbers were off a tee or side toss I wasn't there and she doesn't remember but it wasn't front toss. Higher numbers were off front toss...so confusing. She's 13, 5ft 4 115lbs and a very solid gap hitter but not a home run hitter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm not familiar with this at all; just here to learn. But, wouldn't a lot depend on the speed of the ball and/or, location of the ball to bat, at the point of contact?

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not familiar with this at all; just here to learn. But, wouldn't a lot depend on the speed of the ball and/or, location of the ball to bat, at the point of contact?
The physics tells us that speed of the ball only plays a small part (might have been part of the difference one of posters mentioned regarding tee vs. front toss). Where the ball hits on the bat is certainly a factor.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom