Average exit velocity by age

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
5' 100 lbs isn't really skinny or short for a 10 YO....
Right....my 13yo 8th grader is 75% for height at a little over 5 4 and 50% for weight at 115 lbs for a 10yr old those are top of the growth curve numbers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
You never know about kid sizes anymore and I have no idea what % my DD would fall in. She's 11 and is 5'10"/ 145lbs. We used to travel with her birth certificate when she played 10U LOL.

Apr 20, 2015
You never know about kid sizes anymore and I have no idea what % my DD would fall in. She's 11 and is 5'10"/ 145lbs. We used to travel with her birth certificate when she played 10U LOL.
I can tell you your kid makes her own percentile but if you are curious then you can goggle cdc growth chart for girls.

Aug 2, 2019
I’m
Guessing she’s in the 98th percentile for height for adult women, and 65th percentile for height of adult men.

Feb 3, 2016
For what it's worth, a quick Google search yielded the below:

D1 - Bat speed: 64 for slappers / 72 for hitters
D1 - Ball exit speed: 63 for slappers / 69 for hitters

11th grade - Bat speed: 66 (no info for slappers) and ball exit speed: 63
10th grade - Bat speed 67 and exit speed: 63
9th grade - Bat speed 67 and exit speed: 62
Junior High - Bat speed 65 and exit speed: 61

Has anyone else heard that a rule of thumb is 1 MPH equates to about 3 feet of carry? Ex - 60 exit speed = 180ft in distance? I understand launch angels have a lot to do with distance. Just curious if others have heard a similar rule of thumb.

Info on my DD from my notes section of my phone with our Zepp. Not exit velocity but bat speed. Don't know how accurate ZEPPs are/were. Data is from several years ago. This thread got me curious so this is what had documented.

DD @ 9 years, 9 months old.
58 mph bat speed. ZEPP. 1st, 2nd & 3RD SWING,
4TH SWING 57 MPH.
Pulled her head on the 5th swing.

I have no reason to believe that an 10-11 year old couldn't have an exit velocity in the 60's.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
I still think this bat speed is a very confusing statistic. The numbers posted earlier has an average bat speed that's higher than the exit velocity. When my daughter has been measured at camp her bat speed has been lower than her exit velocity. 58 bat speed 63 exit at one camp and 62 bat speed and 69 exit at another. The lower numbers were off a tee or side toss I wasn't there and she doesn't remember but it wasn't front toss. Higher numbers were off front toss...so confusing. She's 13, 5ft 4 115lbs and a very solid gap hitter but not a home run hitter.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
I still think this bat speed is a very confusing statistic. The numbers posted earlier has an average bat speed that's higher than the exit velocity. When my daughter has been measured at camp her bat speed has been lower than her exit velocity. 58 bat speed 63 exit at one camp and 62 bat speed and 69 exit at another. The lower numbers were off a tee or side toss I wasn't there and she doesn't remember but it wasn't front toss. Higher numbers were off front toss...so confusing. She's 13, 5ft 4 115lbs and a very solid gap hitter but not a home run hitter.

I agree that it's somewhat confusing. DD participated in camp last weekend and exit velocity was 8 - 12 mph higher than bat speed - sometimes more!! Granted velocity was measured off front toss with Hittrax. Don't know if you watched the video in the above thread of her hitting but you can see her bat speed isn't "lightening".

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Bat speed depends on what device is used. The information posted earlier looks like it is from ODM which if I’m not mistaken uses/used Zepp for bat speed data. Zepp measures bat speed from the end of the bat (cap) compared to Diamond Kinetics which measures bat speed from 6” down from the cap. So more in line with the “sweet spot” of the barrel. The added 6” will make a fairly significant difference difference between the two devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 28, 2019
We've used Zepp and Blast and Zepp was 6-8mph higher on bat speed than blast not sure which is more accurate. Should probably find a hit trax and test them. DD bat speed is almost always a few more mph on front toss ,live, or machine than it is on a tee. I can't vouch for the accuracy on either device. It does make hitting lessons more interesting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802