Attacking a dominate pitcher- 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

G&G

Dec 28, 2020
There is a pitcher on a team we play a few times a year that just dominates us. Most of my girls are new to travel ball, or have 1 year of experience. The pitcher we face has a consistent 50mph FB and a change up she can locate. My girls can’t catch up to the FB at all. Should I have my girls trying to bunt her, or is there a better way to attack her?

FYI...we are a “C” level team. We have decent hitters and decent pitching, but nothing special. I like the challenge of facing better teams, but I’m struggling with this one.

Apr 28, 2014
How often does she throw her change up?
If she throws it to every batter just make a plan for your girls to just sit on the change up. If she beats ya with the fast ball then so be it.

Aug 3, 2019
I am familiar with your situation having observed something similar last year within our organization.

I guess first off I would say that a 10u pitcher with a 50 mph fastball who can also throw and locate a change up does not belong playing at C level. Unfortunately, you do run into this from time to time, often with parents or coaches who don’t realize they’re holding the girl back by not challenging her against A/B level competition.

That being said—I think you were on the right track with trying to get some bunts down and make her move around a little bit. Many (not all) girls at that age won’t throw the change up unless they are ahead in the count so I’d probably suggest attacking early so at least your team is getting themselves a fastball—-although it sounds like there are struggles there too.

You can crank up the speed in practice and help develop your girls, but given that she is an outlier, it’s probably not worth going nuts trying to simulate in practice if the other 95% of your games the pitching is slower.

Jul 31, 2015
My DD developed early and could throw 50mph with a decent change in second year 10U. Bunting was the only option for most teams, and it was very effective. Especially if that pitcher is on a true C team, the defense won't know what to do most bunts.

And once on 1b, the runner can pretty much walk to 2nd.

G&G

Dec 28, 2020
How often does she throw her change up?
If she throws it to every batter just make a plan for your girls to just sit on the change up. If she beats ya with the fast ball then so be it.
Against us she does not throw it much. Her coach (a good guy) won’t call it much because we can’t catch up to her FB.

G&G

Dec 28, 2020
I am familiar with your situation having observed something similar last year within our organization.

I guess first off I would say that a 10u pitcher with a 50 mph fastball who can also throw and locate a change up does not belong playing at C level. Unfortunately, you do run into this from time to time, often with parents or coaches who don’t realize they’re holding the girl back by not challenging her against A/B level competition.

That being said—I think you were on the right track with trying to get some bunts down and make her move around a little bit. Many (not all) girls at that age won’t throw the change up unless they are ahead in the count so I’d probably suggest attacking early so at least your team is getting themselves a fastball—-although it sounds like there are struggles there too.

You can crank up the speed in practice and help develop your girls, but given that she is an outlier, it’s probably not worth going nuts trying to simulate in practice if the other 95% of your games the pitching is slower.
The way I see it she is an “A” level pitcher on a “C” level team. The rest of the team is nothing special. They rarely if ever throw another girl. We see them in league play and maybe 1 tournament a year. We are limited in leagues around here so I have no issue with the team being in the same league as us.

Apr 28, 2014
Have your girls face a higher level pitcher at practice from one of your older teams or HS. When DD was 16 she'd pitch to our neighborhood 14u team for them to get timing down. Bunting could work but after a while they will pull corners in and it will be easy outs.
Just like every hitter has a weakness, every pitcher has a weakness. Could be simply a matter of putting some runners on base to rattle her cage :)
Another idea is to just focus on one pitch location. For example if blue is giving her the curve off the plate a bit have your rightys toe the plate and take it to right field. You'll get to her, just keep working.

G&G

Dec 28, 2020
My DD developed early and could throw 50mph with a decent change in second year 10U. Bunting was the only option for most teams, and it was very effective. Especially if that pitcher is on a true C team, the defense won't know what to do most bunts.

And once on 1b, the runner can pretty much walk to 2nd.
It is impressive to see a girl that young throw that hard. My DD is only 9 and just started pitching last season. I know there is a lot that goes into developing a pitcher, but is there anything specific you like to do with your daughter when you are catching her? My DD is only throwing a FB right now. She is consistently 39-41 MPH. Now that she is hitting the strike zone consistently we will start on a change up.

G&G

Dec 28, 2020
Have your girls face a higher level pitcher at practice from one of your older teams or HS. When DD was 16 she'd pitch to our neighborhood 14u team for them to get timing down. Bunting could work but after a while they will pull corners in and it will be easy outs.
Just like every hitter has a weakness, every pitcher has a weakness. Could be simply a matter of putting some runners on base to rattle her cage :)
Another idea is to just focus on one pitch location. For example if blue is giving her the curve off the plate a bit have your rightys toe the plate and take it to right field. You'll get to her, just keep working.
I haven’t thought about bringing in an older girl. I like that suggestion. Thank you.

May 6, 2015
It is impressive to see a girl that young throw that hard. My DD is only 9 and just started pitching last season. I know there is a lot that goes into developing a pitcher, but is there anything specific you like to do with your daughter when you are catching her? My DD is only throwing a FB right now. She is consistently 39-41 MPH. Now that she is hitting the strike zone consistently we will start on a change up.
chances are the pitcher described is much further developed than other 10u girls (DDs second year 10u team had a couple of girls nearly my height, throwing in low 50s). velocity will come with development, but do keep working on it, but bigger arm circle and longer stride cannot be gained solely through practice.

Reactions: G&G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802