ATHLETIC SKILLS TESTING

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Athletic skills testing
has evovled to become
an essential part of player evaluation.

Computerized and technical feedback that once began in high-end and Pro Sports is now part of all sports at all age levels.
Athletes can use these tools to help reach goals.
Another benefit is
recruiting coaches look at these #'s for a verified performance index.

For those on DFP who have expereinced these testing events.
*Please share your experience.
Was it helpful to assess performance?
Help reach future performance goals?
Did it help in recruitment?

Can share multiple students utilized the OnDeck testing with results that helped connect with recruitment.

Here are a couple of resources.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I remember Sean Casey. He was a MLB 1st baseman called the Mayor because he talked to everyoneAs if he was running for office. Anyway he had a 12 year career and had a career average over 300. His college numbers were off the charts good. Leading all Div 1 with a 471 average.
He once said he had a hard time getting on high level travel teams because the first thing they did was run the 60. He was thanked and sent on his way because he didn’t have the foot speed to play at that level. But MLB had a spot for him.
Don’t be so caught up in athletic ability You forget to look at softball ability. Tests like these can be used after you have narrowed down the group, not the other way around.

I wonder how many kids those travel teams kept who were all American in college and 3 time NL All Star player?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I remember Sean Casey. He was a MLB 1st baseman called the Mayor because he talked to everyoneAs if he was running for office. Anyway he had a 12 year career and had a career average over 300. His college numbers were off the charts good. Leading all Div 1 with a 471 average.
He once said he had a hard time getting on high level travel teams because the first thing they did was run the 60. He was thanked and sent on his way because he didn’t have the foot speed to play at that level. But MLB had a spot for him.
Don’t be so caught up in athletic ability You forget to look at softball ability. Tests like these can be used after you have narrowed down the group, not the other way around.

I wonder how many kids those travel teams kept who were all American in college and 3 time NL All Star player?
Thanks for sharing that story.
It brings up some interesting points.
He had a hard time reaching his goal.
The first thing they did was run the 60....
Brings attention to part of what recruitment is looking at.

Now that athletic testing is available at all age levels...
It is a tool for evaluating and can help see progress.

AGREE, stats and #'s are not the only way's to evaluate athletes!

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Just my personal opinion but I think at times we get too caught up with numbers. A player’s time in the 40, ball exit speed, pitch velocity, etc., don’t really hold much water if she can’t hit and put the ball in play, or if she can‘t throw that velocity in real games and get batters out. I guess it can give a coach an idea of a player’s potential, but is it a true picture of what she can really bring to the table in game situations?

What it can be good for is for setting individual goals to improve upon, but for recruitment purposes I really wouldn’t put much emphasis on it. The numbers that really do help with recruitment are GPA, SAT/ACT scores, batting average, ERA, etc. I‘ve never once had a college coach ask me how fast a player‘s time in the 40 was or what their ball exit speed was. They can see with their own eyes if a girl is fast, if she can fool batters, or if she can drive a ball to the fence. Most college coaches will also gun a pitcher during an actual game vs go by what they see listed on a web site.

Mar 10, 2020
Athletic skills testing
has evovled to become
an essential part of player evaluation.

Computerized and technical feedback that once began in high-end and Pro Sports is now part of all sports at all age levels.
Athletes can use these tools to help reach goals.
Another benefit is
recruiting coaches look at these #'s for a verified performance index.

For those on DFP who have expereinced these testing events.
*Please share your experience.
Was it helpful to assess performance?
Help reach future performance goals?
Did it help in recruitment?

Can share multiple students utilized the OnDeck testing with results that helped connect with recruitment.

Here are a couple of resources.

Went to OnDeck 3 times.
Twice eldest dd, one time younger teen. Both wanted the challenge to see results in all skill tests.
Eldest dd first time to do any hitting with controlled analysis. Has running speed but was not ok with agility score.
Applied herself to lower scores went back and improved pro shuttle and exit speed. We added results to her player profile. After this was added we started to see more views from colleges.
The college she is now attending original contact
e-mail commented on her scores.
Teen dd has been working to improve. We will attend again.
Building a resume should include info from reliable sources similar to recomendations.

Apr 16, 2013
I've wondered about these and if they're worth it, or if you can train ahead for everything they'll do. I also don't like the thought of measuring exit speed off a tee or having my DDs weaknesses rolled up into one score. Seems great for a 5 tool athlete, but what about a 3 tool? Does it break down all the pieces into separate categories?

Apr 28, 2014
I think there is a place for analytics in softball.
Pitchers at D1 camps who are being recruited will have their speed, spin and other metrics recorded. Many schools use Rapsodo or other tools to measure spin etc. I agree that some kids are better in games than drills. I always loved going to camps and seeing the taller pitchers get all the love during drills, then they go live and my "undersized" kid would prove she belonged.
I remember when USSSA did the elite select teams. DD tried out 3 years and on her final year she made it. I was excited to see the teams at the space coast as they were the elite selection girls. I wasn't disappointed, very good games and talent. Metrics matter.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Can share about OnDeck.
Yes its broken down into stations.
For running its just timing running 20 yards, 40 yards...
Not on the bases.
Exit speed was off a tee.
Results for each performance station is recorded and this can be used on players bio.
( if you want to )

They also offer something called a jamboree where they pull together the top performing athletes and have them do a Showcase Event in front of college coaches.
Which was an outstanding opportunity for the athlete to attend!

From what I was told, when the Allister's were deciding to start doing the testing. Before putting it together they got feedback from multiple
(many) college coaches inquiring and talking about what they were going to introduce. The college coaches said 'This is what we would look for.' So they mirrored the coaches request when putting together how to analyze and get results for recruitment purposes.
For instance, college coaches said 'dont need to see them run the bases.' What they said was, 'we just need to know how fast they are.' *example

I Like how they do analysis with pitchers and catchers.
Yes it has visual performance feedback when doing this.
The pitchers / catchers rotate threw a line not always with same throwing to / or catching same! They look at one pitch at a time. Throwing maybe 10 or so of each.
While spaced out next to eachother. About 5 p&c throwing per turn. You can really see the performance and ability of techniques and mechanics.
What works or the 'not so much'. The events i attended had about 30 each pitchers and catchers rotating. 4 or 5 at a time.

Imo
It really gives athletes an opportunity to see real compairison of skills.
Playing in tournys doesnt always show all skill levels together. Or exihibit talent next to eachother.
This event can provide a more detailed analysis of ability level.
*Tho not game analysis.
It does provide an accurate guide. As a tool.

Can say colleges recognize credible testing results.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2016
On Deck is the gold standard in testing

Was it helpful to assess performance? It's always great to get an outside assessment with measurables

Help reach future performance goals? Yes, cause it let DD know where she was at and what numbers she needed to work at

Did it help in recruitment? Yet to be seen, there sure dont hurt, they have started to do regional elite showcases other than the jamborees if DD can get invited to either is really setting DD up for some success.

I have been told an 83 ODM index score are mid major numbers, I have also been told coaches will search the database looking for and identifying kids with higher scores for recuriting. I do know the Allistars and what they do are very respected from college coaches.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD2 went to a Camp where the school was big on computer numbers from the swing. DD2 was lowest on the chart but when they went out to the field to hit she was one of 3 or 4 girls who either hit it out of bounced off the fence. (Ball was not carrying out that day).
Girls who had high numbers on the computer swing had a downward swing and hit everything in the ground. Still stumped by that but all good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802