At what point Travel ball? or are we already too late.?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
In my observations, players that start TB at 14U are generally quite a lot behind on their skills, game smarts, and mental processing speed compared with players who have 12U TB experience.

No, I agree. I just see here, even in 12uC, the first questions out of many coach’s mouths when someone is trying to find a team are directed at who they played for last, etc. It’s all about development on the Facebook posts and team pages but on Sunday they roll in with guest pitchers and are trying out better girls mid-season even though they’ve got 12 rostered already, etc. If I go the rest of my life without seeing another “#trusttheprocess” post, It’ll be too soon. DD’s team isn’t entirely innocent of all of this either, by the way.

I hope they find a team that puts development ahead of winning. It just seems like their are fewer and fewer. Maybe I’m just jaded. There aren’t many things that a 12 year old should be worried about being too old to start.

I hijacked the thread with my editorial. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
You're not too late at all. In 12U TB, we had a few girls come to the team that were fairly new to the game and didn't have great skills, but were athletic and worked hard. They all turned into good players. Finding a team that is focused more on development than winning will be the right place.
11 is not too late, my DD was 11 when she started TB. Find her a good hitting coach now if you don't have the proper knowledge to teach her yourself! Hitting is going to be the one thing that will overwhelm her, seeing good 12U TB pitching and all she's ever seen is rec ball pitching! :oops:

Eric's post is spot on, focus on development and a coach who really knows how to teach and runs a great practice!

Oct 4, 2018
Not too late.

Scour the internets right now for teams within an hour drive of you. Find the web sites where the teams in your area post notices about needing players, when tryouts are, etc. Get to know your softball universe.

Travel teams play A level, B level and C level. C level IMHO is a small step above rec, and it's where All Star teams start their travel experience. I would think there's a C team who would love to take your DD after what you've said.

Also, I'll echo what someone said above. You can really help make this happen. It's a commitment, but if you play catch with her daily, hit her grounders, etc. etc. her skills will get better quickly (assuming you're teaching it right). It's all very possible.

Nov 18, 2015
I don't think this has been mentioned - but is there an All-Star option for your league? I'm guessing no if there's only 2 12U teams in the county to begin with. See if any neighboring leagues have an All-Star program - this will help get her the extra practice and level of competition she's ready for, and if her skillset continues to grow, will put her in a good position (skill-wise and confidence-wise) when tryouts begin next July/August.

Apr 30, 2018
First, it’s unfortunate she did not learn fundamental skills during her rec time.

Second, please take the time (if you have it) to personally develop your daughters skills by working with her when you can. It sounds like you could help her learn more in a month than she learned over 2 years of rec.

Third, it is never too late to do anything.

We work on something nearly everyday. Fielding, throwing , her pitching homework. Hitting mostly into net and wiffle balls as of now. Obviously we need to work on sliding and a few other things... 30 degrees and coming home from school today it was, '"Dad, can we throw." May have only been a 15-20 min workout, but I promise no one else in the county was doing the same today. She'll do her mirror drills tonight after homework. I'm more lamenting her lack of game IQ than skill set. I know she has a long way to go, but she will get the skill part. We go to minor league baseball games and watch softball on TV, even went to a TB tournament down the road just for her to see.. try to have conversations like did you see how they covered that base or do you understand what they were doing or trying to do there.. not the same as actually being in game, but we try. Hopefully we find someone who sees the potential

Jun 8, 2016
Unless I have unlimited time I am not going to hold a tryout where I have kids slide instead of using that time to look further at more important things..but that is just me.

You are not too late..far from it. Just keep working with her and find a good team fit and it will work out.

May 9, 2019
Obviously we need to work on sliding and a few other things..

Dont worry about the sliding. It's one of those things, where once you learn, you're good. Just gotta do it a few times and she'll be fine.

If you want her to latch onto a good travel team, focus on hitting, hitting hitting. You could be the worst defensemen and you'd still make the team for your bat. I think you also said she is a pitcher? Well if she wants to keep doing that, then perhaps split time doing hitting 50% of the time and pitching the other 50%. Do not focus all your time in pitching and let the hitting skills deteriorate. Made that mistake and still paying for it with my DD.

May 6, 2015
Unless I have unlimited time I am not going to hold a tryout where I have kids slide instead of using that time to look further at more important things..but that is just me.

unfortunately around here, you have girls that have been taught, and can execute a slid, but still get afraid to. Happens on DDs team, girls who can slide (maybe not well, but they just need reps) staying up when they should slide. that is why I drilled into DD, if base coach does not say otherwise, and you are stopping at a base, you are sliding, end of story.

I would want the chance to judge their willingness to slide upon demand. It goes to more than their technical sliding ability, and more to how much they want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee