At what point should shoulder rotation begin in IR?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
I'm starting my DD on IR drills and just had a question about when the actual shoulder IR should initiate? We are doing 9 and 12 o'clocks and while looking at a slowmo video of her, I'm noticing her rotation might be starting a bit early. Should the rotation be starting while the arm is coming down? Or after the arm straightens out a bit? I'll watch some more videos posted on this board as well. Thanks.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Think of the shoulders, hips and hands as connected, or working together. As the shoulders and hips open, so does the throwing hand. After release exit, they'll close together. Efficient footwork is an equally important part in the delivery process and in many cases, it's importance is often neglected or completely ignored.

As far as "I/R", that occurs after the initial "brush interference" or contact of the fat portion of the throwing hand at the posterior thigh, occuring around the release exit point. You can imagine it similarly as the natural rotation/whip/release of the forearm around the thigh.

Here's another clip for you to take a peek at.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
When a pitcher first starts to learn IR she will often close her shoulders early, especially when she tries to throw hard. In her old motion she most likely squared up at release and it takes long time to change the muscle memory. I typically spend a lot of time having them pitch out of the slingshot/K-position to get them used to being 'sideways'.

Nov 8, 2018
Shoulder should internally rotate armor around brush contact. Palm should stay up as long as possible till you contact. Technically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse