At what point does chanting go from annoying to un sportsmanlike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2016
Over the top when the dugout adjacent to yours on a different field is hitting the metal roof so hard and loud with bats and cleats that your players on your field cannot hear you.

Parents confronted that coach and asked him if he could get his girls to lower the noise a bit and he turned around told his players to hit the ceiling harder. Said he can't control them and it's not a problem.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
I don’t know that it’s fair to frame these chants as “heckling”, exactly. If they were personal and directed at specific players, based on specific traits it would be one thing but all teams get the same chants directed back and forth at one another.

“She stole on you” isn’t just directed at bad catchers. It’s just a standard chant that you hear when a base gets taken, no matter what the circumstances are. Snickering and laughing at teams that aren’t very good and struggling or making fun of old/cheap equipment is one thing (and wouldn’t be allowed on any teams I’ve coached in the past).

I wonder if people would have the same reservations if it were boys playing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... and #$&! you isn’t directed at any umpire in particular. The operative word is always YOU.

Communication 101: Your message isn’t what you think you are saying, it is what your audience thinks they are hearing.

May 29, 2015
Over the top when the dugout adjacent to yours on a different field is hitting the metal roof so hard and loud with bats and cleats that your players on your field cannot hear you.

Parents confronted that coach and asked him if he could get his girls to lower the noise a bit and he turned around told his players to hit the ceiling harder. Said he can't control them and it's not a problem.

Yankees fans?

Re: banging, drumming, beating, cowbells, etc. Most codes expressly forbid “artificial noisemakers.”

Feb 3, 2016
Yankees fans?

Re: banging, drumming, beating, cowbells, etc. Most codes expressly forbid “artificial noisemakers.”
Agree..probably an affiliate club of the Yankees. :)

Yet to find that team that can play and chant equally as well. I'm not a fan of chanting or the noise.

One team actually had a suitcase of annoying crap. They were proud of it!

Contained the following:
Bells, whistles, jugs with stuff in them, marine air horns, kazoo's, and a variety of other party favors. Had a few of those glasses with mustache and a Whoopi cushion?! And something called pootter???
Glad we aged out of that portion of Softball and it's behind us.

I can barely pack all the stuff I need for the weekend.

Who's like I almost forgot to bring the semitruck of annoyance to the fields this weekend. Who are you?

Nov 18, 2013
Agree..probably an affiliate club of the Yankees. :)

Yet to find that team that can play and chant equally as well. I'm not a fan of chanting or the noise.

One team actually had a suitcase of annoying crap. They were proud of it!

Contained the following:
Bells, whistles, jugs with stuff in them, marine air horns, kazoo's, and a variety of other party favors. Had a few of those glasses with mustache and a Whoopi cushion?! And something called pootter???
Glad we aged out of that portion of Softball and it's behind us.

I can barely pack all the stuff I need for the weekend.

Who's like I almost forgot to bring the semitruck of annoyance to the fields this weekend. Who are you?

it’s revived when your DD gets to college. There’s more variety and some are quite clever so they’re not as annoying.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The one cheer I like is when a player hits a double or triple and the the team shouts out to her, "Jenny, Jenny how do you feel?" and she responds , "I feel good, I feel good!". and then the bench cheers back, "She feels good , she feels good! "
That one doesn't get old.

May 6, 2015
The one cheer I like is when a player hits a double or triple and the the team shouts out to her, "Jenny, Jenny how do you feel?" and she responds , "I feel good, I feel good!". and then the bench cheers back, "She feels good , she feels good! "
That one doesn't get old.
do they that James Brown style?

Oct 23, 2014
I would take the chants all day long over the screaming (no words, no chants). Just plain old, long, drawn out screams from the opposing team. Apparently this is meant to shake up the pitchers and generally annoy everyone. I cannot figure out for the life of me why these local parents or coaches would ever allow this sort of behavior. I would haul my daughter out of the dugout by her ear if she started screaming at the other team when in the dugout.

Aug 8, 2020
Been coaching a long time and have begrudgingly accepted the chanting, I feel it diminishes the game and makes girls look less like serious athletes though IMO.... it can turn into a complete circus occasionally ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2016
Chanting is just part of softball. The best players tune it out. The only thing I don't is beating on park equipment. We played a team that was standing on the bench beating on the roof of the dugout. It didn't work for them and probably was denting the roof. If they want to beat on something beat on a bucket or something that belongs to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802