At what point does chanting go from annoying to un sportsmanlike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
My girl is playing in a fall rec league in 12u for context. The chants they do for the most part is not something I enjoy, but I do tolerate them, whatever Lol. The one the opposing team was chanting this weekend was new to me. After a stolen base it was “SHE STOLE ON YOU, blah blah, SOMETHING SOMETHING WHILE YOU WERE DOING YOUR HAIR SHE WAS ALREADY THERE Blah blah something!”
It didn’t seem to affect our catcher, but is it just me or is in unsportsmanlike to direct that to a specific player on the opposite team? If you shouted that from the dugout, it would not be acceptable, but nobody seems to mind when you chant it. Am I the only one that this would bother?

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Part of the game at lower levels. Throw them out and that chant stops! Use everything as motivation. Words are cheap, actions need no words.

Dec 10, 2018
If you've been around girls softball from 8u to 14u the chanting is just part of the game for them. While some of them can be borderline obnoxious, I'd much rather endure the chants than the teams that allow their players to BANG INCESSANTLY ON THE BENCH (with balls, sticks, or anything else... yes there's a story there ) Rarely are they mean spirited or ever meant to insult individuals. I know the chant that your talking about and its one of the mild ones IMO.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
I’ll take a chant of any sort any day of the week over cowbells From fans in the stands, players in the dugout banging on the benches/buckets/fence, or screaming/screeching.

And as far as chants being unsportsmanlike, chants said at the younger levels are NOWHERE near as bad as some of the things said at the college level haha.

Jun 8, 2016
If I don't even hear them when I am watching I am not sure why any player on the field (especially at 12U and above) would. Focus on what you are supposed to be doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802