At what point does chanting go from annoying to un sportsmanlike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
I don’t let our girls chant about the other team or anything negative, but I have heard many other teams do it. I haven’t had any girls on our team complain about the other teams or even seem like they notice. If they did I would just tell them to beat them on the field.

If I thought it was really bad or personally directed at a specific girl I would say something to the coach. He may not even notice it or he may condone it. Who knows. If he condones it I would probably insult him or his wife/husband if she/he is unattractive. See how he likes it (kidding)(sort of).

Jun 26, 2019
If your daughter came home and told you her whole class laughed at her for failing a calculus test, or she was taunted by a group of girls on the playground for all 45 minutes of recess, we're supposed to be OK with that? This isn't a "snowflake" or Karen issue.

"It's part of the game" isn't a valid reason - WHY is it part of a game? How is a negative cheer building team unity, fostering a love of the game, or instilling sportsmanship?

There was a catcher on the opposing team in 10U that was barely 4' tall. After a wild pitch, the team burst out with the "she stole on you" chant. Really? The ball hits the backstop in the air and the runner stole the base - b/c of the catcher? That's when I realized there's a difference between cheering for your team, and cheering against the other team.

You want to psych out the other team? Play hard, play like a team, do the little things right - play with a purpose.

It seem like DFP is somewhat divided on this issue. Which is fine. But I know I'm right, b/c Nationwide is on my side...

...not yours. :p
Agreed

Again, I personally haven't met a single kid who's ever had a problem with any of the standard chants (I'm sure there are some out there that are worse than others). I HAVE seen parents and grandparents get their feelings hurt FOR kids, and I've seen grumpy adults who get annoyed by them, however. I'd be surprised if the kids even remember that they were chanted at, after the game is over.

My kid was a pitcher and had all the chants directed at her a time or two. She has never once cared, and she is NOT a Type A personality- she's the type of kid who probably worries a little too much about what people think in general.

The 4' tall catcher probably grumbled under her breathe at the pitcher and said "No, they stole on YOU", after she bounced one off of the backstop.

It’s not about weather or not it bothers the kids playing, it really didn’t. The fact that adults allow or even encourage 10-12 year old girls heckling each other is what I find so messed up. I am not one to complain or try to control the other team but I would not let my kids act like that, or my players if I was a coach. I know it happens, but where else would that be accepted?

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I don’t know that it’s fair to frame these chants as “heckling”, exactly. If they were personal and directed at specific players, based on specific traits it would be one thing but all teams get the same chants directed back and forth at one another.

“She stole on you” isn’t just directed at bad catchers. It’s just a standard chant that you hear when a base gets taken, no matter what the circumstances are. Snickering and laughing at teams that aren’t very good and struggling or making fun of old/cheap equipment is one thing (and wouldn’t be allowed on any teams I’ve coached in the past).

I wonder if people would have the same reservations if it were boys playing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 26, 2019
I don’t know that it’s fair to frame these chants as “heckling”, exactly. If they were personal and directed at specific players, based on specific traits it would be one thing but all teams get the same chants directed back and forth at one another.

“She stole on you” isn’t just directed at bad catchers. It’s just a standard chant that you hear when a base gets taken, no matter what the circumstances are. Snickering and laughing at teams that aren’t very good and struggling or making fun of old/cheap equipment is one thing (and wouldn’t be allowed on any teams I’ve coached in the past).

I wonder if people would have the same reservations if it were boys playing?

I think the girls get away with a lot that would not be tolerated on a baseball team
As far as boys teams, no coach I played for would have tolerated that from any team I was on, no way, no how no question. I feel like itwas accepted because it was a chant and pretty much blocked out. Baseball seems to have a more strict list of unwritten etiquette, I am not a fan of some of them, but to cheer or chant against the other team, I am surprised that needs to be said.

Obviously I am in the minority here, but I don’t see how it would NOT be directed at the catcher.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020
DD1 played both baseball (house) at the 13U level and softball (travel) at the 12U level this past season. Different age cutoffs. She much prefers the baseball bench culture to the softball bench culture. Her softball team stopped chanting after 10U. Now they just set up some chatter toward their pitcher or their hitter.

Aug 25, 2019
Again, I personally haven't met a single kid who's ever had a problem with any of the standard chants (I'm sure there are some out there that are worse than others). I HAVE seen parents and grandparents get their feelings hurt FOR kids, and I've seen grumpy adults who get annoyed by them, however. I'd be surprised if the kids even remember that they were chanted at, after the game is over.

My kid was a pitcher and had all the chants directed at her a time or two. She has never once cared, and she is NOT a Type A personality- she's the type of kid who probably worries a little too much about what people think in general.

The 4' tall catcher probably grumbled under her breathe at the pitcher and said "No, they stole on YOU", after she bounced one off of the backstop.
Kids may not be bothered by it, but what about the girls who are doing the taunting chants?....What are you teaching them? That it's ok to ridicule someone who messes up?

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I think the girls get away with a lot that would not be tolerated on a baseball team
As far as boys teams, no coach I played for would have tolerated that from any team I was on, no way, no how no question. I feel like itwas accepted because it was a chant and pretty much blocked out. Baseball seems to have a more strict list of unwritten etiquette, I am not a fan of some of them, but to cheer or chant against the other team, I am surprised that needs to be said.

Obviously I am in the minority here, but I don’t see how it would NOT be directed at the catcher.

To be fair, I didn’t compare softball to baseball. I was speaking to the tendency to have a set of behaviors that are “acceptable” for girls or a different set of expectations (act like ladies/smile more/etc). I’ve coached both sports and I’m aware of the differences in etiquette, between the two games.

Again- I’m just making the observation that it seems to be a tradition in the game that the kids who actually play it seem to largely enjoy.

I’ve known coaches who set pretty strict boundaries on chants and some who didn’t. Our girls knew that it wasn’t appropriate or allowed when we played a team who was obviously outmatched or playing up a class, etc, and to be honest our girls seemed to be able to understand when it was/wasn’t appropriate without us constantly butting in- we may have always just been lucky to have naturally empathetic kids, I don’t know. Honestly they all end up playing with/against each other for so long that both teams seem to enjoy the give and take of it all.

I don’t have all the answers. Just sharing my experiences

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
... What are you teaching them? That it's ok to ridicule someone who messes up?

I’m not teaching them anything (in that regard). Chants were around long before my involvement in the game and will be around long after.

If enough players lined up and said that they enjoyed that aspect of the game and didn’t feel ridiculed, would that change any minds? Beats me.

DD’s coaches joined in with the OTHER team by playing drums on their buckets to the beat of their chant about rolling it in the dirt last weekend. Everyone seemed to think it was funny, but maybe they were secretly feeling made fun of. I don’t know.

Again- sometimes I think adults should spend more time just letting kids play their game. We can all agree to disagree, though.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I believe in cheering (for your own team) not chanting. Cheering is more or less a product of what is happening on the field at the moment. Chanting is one of 5 different of the same chants heard every inning of every game. Sometimes it applies to the game events, sometimes not.

In any case, win with class, lose with class. It says a lot about your team.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I believe in cheering (for your own team) not chanting. Cheering is more or less a product of what is happening on the field at the moment. Chanting is one of 5 different of the same chants heard every inning of every game. Sometimes it applies to the game events, sometimes not.

In any case, win with class, lose with class. It says a lot about your team.

Wow. You must be real fun at parties.
Softball chants are a thing. It helps the players not in the game stay pumped up and engaged. They’re fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee