At what point does chanting go from annoying to un sportsmanlike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
If they are aimlessly chanting, how are keeping track of the game? Score, pitch count, how many outs, pitch calling patterns, bunt coverages and stealing signs. They probably aren't. I don't mind some encouragement for your teammates but pay attention to the game you might learn something.
I totally agree. Unfortunately at ages U8 thru U12 few kids pay attention to the game on their own unless they are on deck, batting, or on base.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
... and not even then
Agree, but then it falls to the base coaches to guide them. I can't tell you how many base coaches are statues until the base runner makes a mistake, then look out. Don't ever think they know what they are doing when on the base.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
If they are aimlessly chanting, how are keeping track of the game? Score, pitch count, how many outs, pitch calling patterns, bunt coverages and stealing signs. They probably aren't. I don't mind some encouragement for your teammates but pay attention to the game you might learn something.

Chanting didn’t stop the Bruins from winning an NCAA championship in 2019. They are always chanting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
In my experience, it's never been the girls complaining about chants (or any other noise issue/complaints), it's always salty parents/adults. It's their game, let them police that stuff themselves- adults already insert themselves into the game WAY too much.
Well, there are police in real life because some people just can't police themselves.......

Jun 8, 2016
Well, there are police in real life because some people just can't police themselves.......
Not really the same thing..nor is bullying from kids on the same team. I probably wouldn't like my players getting too personal and would tell them to knock it off but I have seen coaches from the team on the receiving end complain about (it was rec) and in that case that was a bit much imo. Just tell your players to ignore it if it is bothering them..

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Early in the game most of the charting is done by the bench players at college level. And starters have pitching and hitting reports. I would like to think that UCLA players were aware of the score, pitch count and outs throughout the game.

Nov 18, 2015
If your daughter came home and told you her whole class laughed at her for failing a calculus test, or she was taunted by a group of girls on the playground for all 45 minutes of recess, we're supposed to be OK with that? This isn't a "snowflake" or Karen issue.

"It's part of the game" isn't a valid reason - WHY is it part of a game? How is a negative cheer building team unity, fostering a love of the game, or instilling sportsmanship?

There was a catcher on the opposing team in 10U that was barely 4' tall. After a wild pitch, the team burst out with the "she stole on you" chant. Really? The ball hits the backstop in the air and the runner stole the base - b/c of the catcher? That's when I realized there's a difference between cheering for your team, and cheering against the other team.

You want to psych out the other team? Play hard, play like a team, do the little things right - play with a purpose.

It seem like DFP is somewhat divided on this issue. Which is fine. But I know I'm right, b/c Nationwide is on my side...

...not yours. :p

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Again, I personally haven't met a single kid who's ever had a problem with any of the standard chants (I'm sure there are some out there that are worse than others). I HAVE seen parents and grandparents get their feelings hurt FOR kids, and I've seen grumpy adults who get annoyed by them, however. I'd be surprised if the kids even remember that they were chanted at, after the game is over.

My kid was a pitcher and had all the chants directed at her a time or two. She has never once cared, and she is NOT a Type A personality- she's the type of kid who probably worries a little too much about what people think in general.

The 4' tall catcher probably grumbled under her breathe at the pitcher and said "No, they stole on YOU", after she bounced one off of the backstop.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802