At what point does chanting go from annoying to un sportsmanlike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
I always hated the chanting and screaming. If your team has to use to nonsense like that to distract opposing players to win, well that speaks for itself. Coaches who allow chants that are rude and directed at opposing players, speaks for their level of class. Thankfully my DD found a team (second year 12u) where the coach forbid it and told the girls if you hear it, you're not focused enough on the game. Thankfully around here they grow out of it around 14. I really wish umps would/could do something about the cleat stomping on aluminum benches.

Jun 4, 2019
I had to talk to an ump this weekend about the other team. I don’t mind chanting, but they were clearing talking about the pitcher and doing thing like screaming louder when she pitched, etc. the ump admitted he had bad hearing and would pay attention to it.
Not sure why some coaches allow that stuff, but it is what it is. They also had a girl who was caught in a rundown and basically shoved my player after she was tagged. I’m learning teams from certain areas are just taught differently.

Oct 16, 2019
I have not read this whole thread, so maybe this has been said. But as a former HS umpire, I would let the chants go until they either singled out a specific player for whatever reason or became too obnoxious, then I would simply tell the coach of that team it needed to stop, and it always worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478