At what point do you, or you DD decide that she's not going to make it as a pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Very few. Most kids hate pitching.

They all want to try it, but very few of them want to do it a second time. When I was coaching that age level, I let everyone who wanted to pitch try. By the third game, I never had more than two kid who wanted to pitch.
We live in a rural area and went to HS in a small city. Everyone started out playing to the town travel team and many kids remain in that org forever. So you tend to know everyone evem in different ages.

One game in HS my dds senior year I realized that other then the catcher. Every girl on the field had tried pitching for a season or more. A couple had lasted 3 years, a few less, a couple even longer. But other then my dd and the #2 none had stuck it out. The 3rd baseman could come in if needed, but she hadn’t pitched for 3 years.

Aug 24, 2018
A really smart guy on this forum turned my DD on to a book that has kept her pitching even with all the highs and lows she has gone through. This chart is burned in her brain and helps when she feels like she can't pitch. Going into her 3rd year of pitching (14U) she is really coming into her own. Played in her 1st teams tournament this weekend and the girl who was #1 in 12u, throwing high 50s, is now that team's #3 and is throwing slower and has no control. Have faith success will come. Have to keep the thought process on getting 1% better everyday.
1602179867918.png

Sep 7, 2020
What book would that be? I could use some good advice/guidance with my Dtr and pitching. TIA

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Aug 24, 2018
What book would that be? I could use some good advice/guidance with my Dtr and pitching. TIA

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Joshua Medcalf, Chop Wood Carry Water. I'm not sure she enjoyed the story in it, but she pulled some gems out of it about work ethic. I would suggest you read it first.

Apr 28, 2014
A really smart guy on this forum turned my DD on to a book that has kept her pitching even with all the highs and lows she has gone through. This chart is burned in her brain and helps when she feels like she can't pitch. Going into her 3rd year of pitching (14U) she is really coming into her own. Played in her 1st teams tournament this weekend and the girl who was #1 in 12u, throwing high 50s, is now that team's #3 and is throwing slower and has no control. Have faith success will come. Have to keep the thought process on getting 1% better everyday.
View attachment 19577
Awesome!
Heard she's doing great!
Get rid of outcome based thinking, focus on the process and keep working and watch the magic happen!

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
I hear ya.

Especially on new teams, when my DD is off you start hearing (or imagine you're hearing) the grumblings. Most parents know pitchers are out there giving their all (and quite honestly, FU if you're bitching about the team's pitcher).

I dealt with it the other day. Almost said something but bit my lip.

Any girl that toes the rubber is brave beyond her years. I think those girls will go far in life.
I watched a Ric Flare video the other night and he said you can't talk about the sport unless you have #1 played it and knows what it takes to prepare and compete or #2 Spent years studying the sport, enough to realize what it takes to play.
Only pitchers and pitchers parents know what it takes weekly mentally and physically to prepare to play. The results are not always what we want but I praise ALL PITCHERS for the effort. I even tell the opposing pitchers I am proud of them for their efforts and keep grinding.

Jun 4, 2019
The best pitchers at 10 and 12 you are not often the best pictures at 16u. The good ones at younger ages are good because they grew quicker and were physically more overpowering. A lot of the girls around me that dominated at 10U aren’t dominating at 14U anymore as the other girls have grown as they got older.

The 12 yr old that’s 5’7” and is dominating on the rubber will often be the 5’7” 16 yr old that’s now a position player.

Jul 28, 2016
The best pitchers at 10 and 12 you are not often the best pictures at 16u. The good ones at younger ages are good because they grew quicker and were physically more overpowering. A lot of the girls around me that dominated at 10U aren’t dominating at 14U anymore as the other girls have grown as they got older.

The 12 yr old that’s 5’7” and is dominating on the rubber will often be the 5’7” 16 yr old that’s now a position player.

Which is exactly why I never let my (always the tallest/biggest kid on the roster) DD pitch? I knew she had 'some' talent in 10u along with some size. I didn't want her focus to get too narrow and not learn how to be a ball player. I guessed right. She is a 6'0 power hitting corner that committed last week. I do wonder though sometimes if pitching would have worked out..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802