At what point do you, or you DD decide that she's not going to make it as a pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
She is 10, composed and accurate? You are worrying about the wrong things. She will develop and get stronger. Speed will come with strength and technique. Composure is the wildcard that sends many pitchers out of the circle. If you have that already, she is in a good position.

I agree, but at this level, it seems like speed is all coaches want.

Mar 6, 2016
One thing Id add is that if she loves going oit there and SHE is the one asking to go pitch a bullpen and SHE is the one who wants to keep at it. Then lwt her keep going and dont worry about 10u success or not. Even if shes maybe not as "successful" as you think or want...if she still likes it wants to pitch...let her keep on doing it. Dont stop her desire to keep trying.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Heres another perspective.

Performance does not determine wether you want to pitch or not.
However wether you want to pitch or not can affect your performance.

There are pitchers needed at all levels!
Every one of them started at the bottom and worked their way up!

Softball is stages of learning curves.
We learn softball at the next level. And we learn who we are when we get to each of them.

Probably natural progression will decide.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020
For those parents who have daughters who were once pitchers, and are no longer pitching for various reasons.. I have a question.

What was it that made them decide to stop pitching and go onto another position? Was it that they realized they didn't have it? Or was it because they realized they didn't like it? Do you wish you had made the decision for her sooner than later knowing what you know now?

My DD has been pitching for about 2 years now. She is finally playing at B level, and while she was doing great in C, now at the B level, her velocity is just not considered anything more than below average to average. She works hard, but she isn't very strong, and doesn't have the frame to carry much more weight on her body to generate more speed. She could still work on mechanics and such to try to generate more speed, but I'm starting to wonder if I should try to convince her to focus on hitting and being an infielder more to prepare for what I feel will be inevitable. The only thing I can say about her is, she is definitely the most accurate, and composed pitcher at this age group and level that I've seen. Yes I'm her Dad and maybe there is bias, but I know based on stats, she doesn't walk as many batters as others I've seen.

So just wondering from other parents who were in the same situation, where you had a daughter who was good at other positions, but she was also a pitcher so she shouldn't work on those other positions as much, later to realize you may have been better off putting pitching in the rear view mirror sooner.. any insight and advice would be really appreciated.
It’s way too early to make that decision. If she wants to pitch and works hard she will improve. You don’t have to be a powerhouse to throw hard.
It helps of course but good mechanics and good arm whip along with a powerful stride is what you need to be sussessful.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The only thing I can say about her is, she is definitely the most accurate, and composed pitcher at this age group and level that I've seen.

Accurate and composed...10 years old? I think you should let this story play out a whole lot longer...until...say...at least 14U. I wish I had a dollar for every kid who was all that at 10/12U who wasn't anything special at 16/18U. That's if they were playing at all.

Keep working on the pitching along with general defensive skills, including outfield.

Nov 22, 2019
She tops out at about 43mph, but she tends to slow down during real at bats, so more like 39 to 40 in game.
She is about 4 foot 9 and may weigh around 65lbs.

You’re just in the wrong state. Move to another part of the country and she’d be considered one of the best pitchers around.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
WHOA.

10YO....let me repeat 10YO. WAY TO EARLY TO THROW IN THE TOWEL.

As someone else mentioned. What does your DD want to do?

My DD at 10U (league age 9) made a Little League allstar team as likely the 12/13th player. She "pitched" wanted to pitch in Allstars. Worked at home, went early to AS Practices etc. She never pitched in AS's that year.

She also played on a club team 10U. She would have been the #4 pitcher on that team. And it sounds like your DD is more sound than mine was at the same age.

Following year of 10U she's the #2 pitcher on her Club team and the #2 pitcher on her AS team.

First year 12's she's #1 pitcher on her AS team and one of 2 #1's on her club team.

Rinse and repeat at 2nd year 12's and first year 14's.

2nd year 14's she's moved up to A ball and still one of 2 #1's on her club team and facing and beating 16/18's.

Now we're starting first year 16's and she's still one of 2 #1's on her team.

And I've said one of 2 #1's because the other #1 is equally as good and the each have had a little different something to bring to the table but equally reliable and effective.

Now...back to 10U....those pitchers from her first AS team...none of them are pitching anymore and 2 of them are out of the sport. From her 10U Club team. The #1 pitcher quit playing. #2 quit pitching. #3 is now a #1 on a club team. and my DD is in the same position.

My point in sharing my DD's journey is to encourage your DD.....and you. If she wants to pitch let her. She has to put the work in. She has to want it. BUT ours and so many other peoples story are similar...Those that work hard and hone their craft find a place. There's a shortage of Quality pitching (NOT JUST SPEED) and catching in our area. So many girls give up. I constantly hear "my DD used to pitch......". Granted it's not for everyone. Some don't have the desire or interest or want to put that work in.

My DD's hitting coach told her when he first started working with her "A pitcher huh?...you know you'll need to put in extra practice and work, right?" Her answer....was "Yes I know, I already do".

IMG_6717.JPG

If it's what your DD wants to do...be there to support and encourage. Get good pitching instructions to avoid the pitfalls of bad mechanics and injury.

Good luck!

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
It happened for DD after freshman year. She was the starting pitcher for JV 2. But there were just a succession of pitchers much better then her 2 of which were freshman also. They both pitched for JV1. She pitched one more year for her TB team but her heart wasn't into it.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I heartily concur with Chris 8. DD’s story is similar. 10U is much too early to throw in the towel. My DD was probably 5th or 6th on the depth chart as a pitcher in her first year of 10U travel ball (was also pitching in LL at the time). But she wanted to pitch and we worked at it. She was always willing to do the work—I would initiate at that age, but she was always game.

Of those girls initially ahead of her on the depth chart, 3 no longer pitch at all. Two others are position players that “can” pitch, but don’t throw many innings. You never know how it is going to go, especially before the girls fully physically mature.

At second year 14U, my DD is the only “true” pitcher left of that original bunch and recently moved up to pitch for a local/regional A level team. This step up has brought its own challenges, but she is still doing the additional work to keep improving and developing.

If you daughter still wants to pitch and is willing to do the extra work, then keep going.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478