At what point do you cancel the season, start talking about refunds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
and this is why I'm a huge proponent of open books (doesn't have to be the bank account breakdown or anything just list of items bought and tournaments etc.). Anyone on the team should at any time be able to see how much money they have paid in, what they still owe and there should be a breakdown (budget) of where their money is going...if people have information then they will react accordingly if you keep information from them they are left wondering why.

Apr 1, 2017
We are a 14U, with mix of 8th grade and freshmen, so our schedule is heavily backloaded for when the high school players come back. Team fees are paid in full by mid-January. Although we have lost a few indoor practices, no big expenses have been cancelled so far. Other than 1 round robin the 8th graders have scheduled in April, we have no tournaments until Memorial Day (2 months away). I realize this could potentially drag on a long time, but both to remain positive and for my sanity, I'm hoping we are playing by then. Specific to softball only, my fear is the panic of today is going to get things cancelled that are still 2, 3, 4 months away.

If the season does end up being lost, would collect whatever tournament refunds we have and distribute back to families. Portion of fees for field rentals, maintenance, etc. would have to be figured out by org.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Good topic and reply's so far, thanx Whiporee! I really like the thought, communicative approach that some of you have already taken...not every organization is even close to that level of planning.

Another expense that was somewhat mentioned above but typically looms large for many families that travel out of state for tourneys is the transportation and lodging expense which goes on top of org fees. I think t's fairly typical to expect 3 or 4 out of state tourneys which may last 3-4 days in a season (some probably a lot more, some less) and even some in-state tourneys require lodging depending on where you are at. If Mom, Dad, player and siblings all attend these tourneys it can easily add up to $1000 - $2000 (not including possible lost wages, house/pet sitting, etc.), using an average of $1500 x 3.5 tourneys and you're out of pocket over an additional $5000 at a time when unemployment is rising along with other financial ripple effects making economic life hard.

Oh yeah, a new bat and glove, cleats, sunglasses, outside lessons, and misc expenses which of course we've all budgeted for and the numbers add up quickly on top of what we all pay in org fees. Tough decisions for many families in a good year, trying to make those budget decisions in a year like this? Stressful, and dang near impossible. Don't forget to put some of those dollars aside for your DD's college education and buy some shares while they're on sale. Hopefully that 529 plan you've been contributing to has a few more years to recover from this Bear market before you need to pay for Freshman year's tuition! Athletic scholarships for everybody right!!

Remember, the government is looking at possibly giving every adult (making under $75K approx) and child a stimulus check of $1200/500 just to get them through and keep things open. Hopefully we are all out there and spending like drunken sailors this summer and this issue is already in the rearview mirror but...

Stay healthy my friends!

May 29, 2015
Gonna be a hairy web to untangle. Our HS was to go to Myrtle Beach in April. Sounds like they want to withhold $2000 deposit. That seems complexly unethical in light of the situation. I would think $500 would be reasonable but $2K?

In this case, and any case a tournament doesn’t want to issue a full refund, ask them if the percentage they are withholding is worth losing your future business over. Then make sure you vote with your wallet.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Good topic and reply's so far, thanx Whiporee! I really like the thought, communicative approach that some of you have already taken...not every organization is even close to that level of planning.

Another expense that was somewhat mentioned above but typically looms large for many families that travel out of state for tourneys is the transportation and lodging expense which goes on top of org fees. I think t's fairly typical to expect 3 or 4 out of state tourneys which may last 3-4 days in a season (some probably a lot more, some less) and even some in-state tourneys require lodging depending on where you are at. If Mom, Dad, player and siblings all attend these tourneys it can easily add up to $1000 - $2000 (not including possible lost wages, house/pet sitting, etc.), using an average of $1500 x 3.5 tourneys and you're out of pocket over an additional $5000 at a time when unemployment is rising along with other financial ripple effects making economic life hard.

Oh yeah, a new bat and glove, cleats, sunglasses, outside lessons, and misc expenses which of course we've all budgeted for and the numbers add up quickly on top of what we all pay in org fees. Tough decisions for many families in a good year, trying to make those budget decisions in a year like this? Stressful, and dang near impossible. Don't forget to put some of those dollars aside for your DD's college education and buy some shares while they're on sale. Hopefully that 529 plan you've been contributing to has a few more years to recover from this Bear market before you need to pay for Freshman year's tuition! Athletic scholarships for everybody right!!

Remember, the government is looking at possibly giving every adult (making under $75K approx) and child a stimulus check of $1200/500 just to get them through and keep things open. Hopefully we are all out there and spending like drunken sailors this summer and this issue is already in the rearview mirror but...

Stay healthy my friends!
Thanks for the detail in your post. The cost to families is what i'm wondering about also.

Anyone think there maybe any adjustment in tournament prices?
Perhaps fewer teams?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the detail in your post. The cost to families is what i'm wondering about also.

Anyone think there maybe any adjustment in tournament prices?
Perhaps fewer teams?

More teams. Tournament prices should remain the same as they were pretty much set before this happened anyway. I am seeing some sanctions adding additional tournament days to accomodate what they think will be additonal demand.

If we start back in say late May every one if going to try and cram as many games and tournaments as they can in before nationals/end of the season.

If we start later than planned, DD's team has already picked additional tournaments to play in the planned off weekends and there is a plan to play to allow us to play two weeks beyond our original last tournament by playing a nationals we were not planning on attending.

Jul 14, 2018
We are paid in full for DD’s travel season. Honestly, some quick math tells me that tournament fees are about the least of our expenses ($600/13 players * 8 remaining tournaments = $370 per family). We’re paying much more for equipment, indoor space, and coaches stipends.

We’ve already done all of our indoor training, played four fall tournaments, and received bags, helmets, and uniforms. If they don’t play another game this season, the loss is more development and memories than money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
More teams. Tournament prices should remain the same as they were pretty much set before this happened anyway. I am seeing some sanctions adding additional tournament days to accomodate what they think will be additonal demand.

If we start back in say late May every one if going to try and cram as many games and tournaments as they can in before nationals/end of the season.

If we start later than planned, DD's team has already picked additional tournaments to play in the planned off weekends and there is a plan to play to allow us to play two weeks beyond our original last tournament by playing a nationals we were not planning on attending.
@marriard,
Interesting thought more teams?
Can you please share reasoning on that?
Hmmm? High schoolers who wouldnt normally play tb. want to now or?

Feb 20, 2020
I think it's because the time frame of the season has been condensed, more teams will be trying to slip into any tourney they can. We normally end our season in early July, but we're looking at tourneys into early August if possible. We've got fall HS, so that shortens how long the girls can play TB.

That's assuming our season doesn't get cancelled. Our P&R district is meeting on April 1 and that's on its agenda.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478