At what point do you cancel the season, start talking about refunds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
A wrench might have just been thrown into HS or TB in Illinois. It is being reported, perhaps rumor, that the IHSA is contemplating extending the HS season through June. As you all know, I am a HS coach. I am not in favor of that. Too many parents have already planned their TB trips and vacations.

That is overly optimistic ... unless schools are talking about extending the school year through June. (I honestly don’t think we’ll be back in school this year UNLESS schools extend the school year into the traditional summer break.)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I doubt it will be a decision left to PGF. If you have no way to get there, no where to stay, and nowhere to play you do not have a tournament.
Add- Pgf nationals held in the same city the bars were open on snt patricks day. That now L.A. has #'s rising. Eventhough San Francisco had shelter in place already.
Good news plasma already being used from survived people.

Sorry h.s. ball this season even if they try going to be a wrecking ball season. Is that worth it? Or anyone compelled to HAVE TO DO H.S. at this point?
Softball and other social events will continue in time. Starting in a month seems not smart.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018
Allen TX
This is definitely a tough time with no blueprint available to follow. This is tough on families for sure and we want to be respectful for sure. And this is really tough on kids too. They don't have normal school, sleepovers, practices, games, etc. Our goal is to provide as much normalcy as possible as soon as it is safe to do so.

We charge dues per season (fall/spring), but we allow our families to pay monthly over 4 months (each season). Our dues are fairly inexpensive for the amount of softball our team plays (I think). Some families pay lump sum, some pay monthly. So far, most families are up to date. I have requested that everyone keep paying on time (if feasible) so we can pay for tournaments that will certainly see a rush of teams when hiatus gets lifted. If things continue to remain shutdown, we will provide refunds or push money to next fall (on a per player basis).

Here is our original plan, and our new plan.

We are an 07 team.

Original Tournament Schedule:

1 in Feb
2 in March
2 in April
2 in May
1 in June
2 in July (including Sparkler Jr)

New Revised Schedule as of today:

1 in Feb (PLAYED)
1 in March (PLAYED)
0 in April
3 in May
3 in June
2 in July (Sparkler is ???)

We also have 1-2 other dates in May/July that we could add if needed.

In this scenario, we will not play again until May at the earliest. No loss of number of tournaments. If we need to adjust beyond starting in May, we will absolutely do it. We may need to kill Sparkler Jr, but we will wait to make that decision.

If for any reason we can't start until June or beyond, we will only play 14u tourneys to prepare for next year and consider our final 12u season a loss.

If we have families with financial issues, we will address them individually, and try to make it work.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I can’t imagine how many girls will never play the game again after cancellation of HS seasons for seniors not going on to play in college or the loss of interest after the long hiatus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2018
As long as social distancing remains the sole way to slow the spread of covid-19, I don't see any tourneys being held. This summer will be individual practice.

May 29, 2015
That is overly optimistic ... unless schools are talking about extending the school year through June. (I honestly don’t think we’ll be back in school this year UNLESS schools extend the school year into the traditional summer break.)

e-Learning or Remote Learning days start in Illinois this week. Personally, I don’t see a return coming anytime soon.

IHSA updates available at https://www.ihsa.org/default.asp

Mar 10, 2020
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Social distancing has been extended til April 7.

I bet HS season is done for most. And I dont see travel starting back till July, if then. Plus, a lot of folks are going to lose income. Softball travel will not be a high priority for many. It’s going to be interesting.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Social distancing has been extended til April 7.

I bet HS season is done for most. And I dont see travel starting back till July, if then. Plus, a lot of folks are going to lose income. Softball travel will not be a high priority for many. It’s going to be interesting.
Probly No way to squeeze High School season in now that shelter in place is extended till April 30th here in California. The financial aspect I also think considering loss of pay and income will be less players.
Unless some kindness prevails and due's are dropped.

Unfortunetly soooo many teams in so cal.... Tho the big venues probly wouldnt have to but
Really would be neat if the sb venues made some kindness adjustments .... -$
Thats if people want to play this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802