At what point do you cancel the season, start talking about refunds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Teams trying to get in their 8, or 10, or 12 tournaments in 2-3 months instead of 4-5?
ahh yes, not necessarily more teams, just everyone participating in condensed time.

More games, less weekend practices !

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
@marriard,
Interesting thought more teams?
Can you please share reasoning on that?
Hmmm? High schoolers who wouldnt normally play tb. want to now or?

Normally on any given weekend, not every travel team plays. On average most teams probably play every other week - so somewhere near 50% of available teams.

With games already missed and a compressed season, many teams are going to try and cram more games in - so it is very likely that instead of 50% of teams planning to play every weekend it is going to go up to 75% or more wanting to play. The longer play is suspended, the higher that percentage will be.

It won't be that there are more teams, just that a higher percentage of teams are going to want to play more often.

Our org has a tournament that traditionally is held late May. We normally get entries to about 120% of capacity. We are already at 200% capacity and have tentatively lined up an additional 20 fields just in case we can actually hold it.

Nov 18, 2013
Normally on any given weekend, not every travel team plays. On average most teams probably play every other week - so somewhere near 50% of available teams.

Cold weather states can be a little different. In MN due to HS ball traditionally travel ball doesn’t start until the first weekend in June. Travel teams only have one, possibly two weekends off before nationals. It gets pretty crazy with sanctioning bodies trying to have weekday league games during the summer too. Girls play so many games they never have time to practice and get better.

When DD played they required some programs to attend their state qualifier and state tourneys, on top of league play to be eligible for nationals. All a huge scam to fill their tourneys and line their pockets.

Jun 8, 2016
Yup. Organizers and teams needing to make up (for different reasons) for cancelled tournaments probably means bigger tournaments which means more people which means greater likelihood of more virus spread..sounds like a great idea.

I honestly have no idea when I am going to feel comfortable being in a group..might not be until they have a vaccine tbh.

Apr 28, 2014
A wrench might have just been thrown into HS or TB in Illinois. It is being reported, perhaps rumor, that the IHSA is contemplating extending the HS season through June. As you all know, I am a HS coach. I am not in favor of that. Too many parents have already planned their TB trips and vacations.

We just received word that PA school year will not go past 6/30. I know several teachers who are claiming that the union is refusing to go back to school until the virus is completely under control. Teachers union is very strong here. I also know that teachers are being paid now (that's great) But based on their desire to only go back if the virus is 100% done I don't expect that we will go back this year.

Mar 10, 2020
Our family will make a decision on going back to school or softball based on the knowledge we gather.
Home schooling is working fine.
After the way certain states rolled this out while others didnt.
Not going to rush anything.

Aug 2, 2019
Yup. Organizers and teams needing to make up (for different reasons) for cancelled tournaments probably means bigger tournaments which means more people which means greater likelihood of more virus spread..sounds like a great idea.

I honestly have no idea when I am going to feel comfortable being in a group..might not be until they have a vaccine tbh.
Aren't you 200' away from groups at softball games?

Jun 8, 2016
Aren't you 200' away from groups at softball games?
Lol true...but once in the while I need to use the restroom ;) . In all seriousness I am more worried about my family. If I get it and croke my wife is good looking enough where she could find a better looking replacement who makes far more money than I do. In other words correct her original mistake. Of course she could that anyway but she is too nice and this would give her a valid reason other than he is poor and ugly.. :LOL:

Jun 7, 2016
"Teachers union is very strong here. I also know that teachers are being paid now (that's great) But based on their desire to only go back if the virus is 100% done I don't expect that we will go back this year. "

Wonder when the police and nurses union start saying same...
Virus wont be 100% contained until a proven vaccine exists. And even then there will be missed individuals (non-vaxers), perhaps mutations or seasonal variation, etc. Seems an unreasonable expectation on part of the teachers union.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802