At What Age Do Bats Make a Discernable Difference?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD was using the Bustos in 10U which was a good mix of composite vs price at the time. Then the following yea(12U rec) I bought the CF4. That's when it started getting fun and "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" became a real problem. If I recall, bat research brought me to this site and I am forever grateful.

Purchases--that I can remember
CF6 Insane 31" sold
CF6 paradox-32" sold
Miken Freak Black-32" sold
2014 LXT-32" still have
2016 LXT-33"-still have
2017 LXT-34"-warranty
2018 Lxt 34"-still have
Borrowed 2014 LXT 34" -9 still have
Easton Ghost 34" still have

Jan 22, 2011
Until she was in 12u, I made a point of buying my daughter the cheapest aluminum bat I could find for spring rec, then would buy her a good composite bat for all-stars. That way she had to learn to hit to get good hits in rec, then the bat would help some in all-stars.

2nd year 10u rec she used this old purple Easton bat when I found it in the bin of bats of the locally owned sporting goods store, I asked the owner's son how much for this antique, and he said $20 cash.

https://www.justbats.com/product/easton-fastpitch-softball-bat--sk20/6300/

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
As soon as they move away from the soft "RIF" balls typically used for 8U and 10U rec ball, a good bat will start making a noticeable difference.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD was using the Bustos in 10U which was a good mix of composite vs price at the time. Then the following yea(12U rec) I bought the CF4. That's when it started getting fun and "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" became a real problem. If I recall, bat research brought me to this site and I am forever grateful.

Purchases--that I can remember
CF6 Insane 31" sold
CF6 paradox-32" sold
Miken Freak Black-32" sold
2014 LXT-32" still have
2016 LXT-33"-still have
2017 LXT-34"-warranty
2018 Lxt 34"-still have
Borrowed 2014 LXT 34" -9 still have
Easton Ghost 34" still have

GAS is a terrible disease.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I think "the Arrow" only makes a difference on a mis-hit ball.

A good hitter is going to clear a 200' fence with a "bad" bat or a "good" bat, on a squarely hit ball.
a "good" bat might hit a ball 20' further, but once you clear the fence, an HR is an HR...

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
So I'm an analytic and an overthinker. My daughter is 9, turns 10 in January. She's played rec and all star tournament ball, and is now starting travel ball. Throughout the seasons, I have had her try different bats that teammates' parents spent a lot of money for and I haven't seen much if any difference in how far she hits with a $350 LS LXT (and other similarly priced bats) vs. the $120 DeMarini Bustos she wields now.

Am I blind? Or do the girls have to gain enough muscle mass through age before I see this difference?

Several things go into this answer. Hitting power in terms of strength definitely matters, but first is having a decent swing. Right after the decent swing, is using a bat, regardless of brand or cost, that is the right size, weight, and balance. I've seen girls trying to swing expensive bats that were too big or heavy for them. Their parents likely used the "she'll grow into it" mindset while buying.

When DD was 12, she hit a ball ridiculously far in practice using an aluminum bat that I bought on clearance for $10 at Wal Mart. That bat was actually the best bat compared to cost that I ever purchased. However, the composites generally have a bigger sweet spot, and are closer to the performance limit than their cheaper cousins. It's the bigger sweet spot that really matters, because with a decent swing, any contact has a higher chance of being good contact.

IMO, where you start to really notice more distance is when they get bigger and stronger. DD still has an inexpensive aluminum bat that she uses in the cage and cold weather. It's size, weight, and balance closely match her "good" bat. She can hit with that bat effectively, but the balls obviously don't come off as consistently, as fast, or fly as far.

Regardless of age, spending $350 on a bat is ridiculous. I buy them in the fall when they are on sale for half that price and sometimes less than that. Ebay is also a great source for used bats. I'd go that route to find a 10 yo a hotter bat that she probably won't use for more than one season. You then sell that one, and use the money towards something else.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think the most I spent on a bat for DD is $130.

I have bought 2 used bats on here, both have worked out well.

She is currently playing with used bat bought on here.

Just takes a little patience.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812