Assistant Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2020
So currently my team will be a first year 10u team taking on the spring tournaments. Although I’ve had some volunteers from the parents to help with stations, I need help finding an assistant coach. Someone that knows the game. But someone that will understand what we’re trying to do. What recommendations do y’all have?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So currently my team will be a first year 10u team taking on the spring tournaments. Although I’ve had some volunteers from the parents to help with stations, I need help finding an assistant coach. Someone that knows the game. But someone that will understand what we’re trying to do. What recommendations do y’all have?
Hmmm?
What are you trying to do?

May 6, 2015
check to see if local HS players might be interested. good college application / resume kinda stuff. possibly even college players if any are local for you (and actually on campus ;))

PS, and the age group you are working with, they generally will really pay attention to older girls who take some time to instruct them.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Get ideas for warning signs regarding assistant coaches. Things to look for as red flags or go aheads.
To be more specific...
You commented find someone who understands what your trying to do.
Thinking that pertains to your team goals.

What are you trying to accomplish?
Define that.
Because an assistant coach can be shared role or more of a follow the head coach position.
What is it that you want the assistant to be able to do?
Examples~
Hit grounders?
Do you want them teaching hitting or HC will tell AC details to drills and hitting stations?
Come up with practice plans or follow HC plans?

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
At 10U through 12U, we had a variety of ACs. Parents (moms and dads), older sibs (one was a former D1 player), and former players from the org. At 10U, someone with a tremendous amount of game knowledge isn't critical. If they will support you (not contradict you, most importantly), help out, and have some reasonable softball/baseball sense, they can learn on the job.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
At 10U you are doing more instructing than game coaching. So look for AC's who have the ability and knowledge base to do so. It will NOT be easy to find one so make sure they are like minded in teaching technique.

If it turns out you find someone who has only rudimentary understanding of the game, then get together and agree this is what and how we tech skills. Remember practice makes permanent, so you want it done correctly.

Aug 25, 2019
Well, just like players, coaches have to start and learn somewhere. Hopefully you can find a parent or someone who knows their limits and wants to learn how to be a better coach. That's what I did when my DD played rec ball for three years. Once she moved to travel, I knew I wasn't the right coach for that type of game. I could of learned to be a better coach, but I chose not to.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2017
check to see if local HS players might be interested. good college application / resume kinda stuff. possibly even college players if any are local for you (and actually on campus ;))

PS, and the age group you are working with, they generally will really pay attention to older girls who take some time to instruct them.

I can’t upvote this enough. The players on your team at their age will see HS girls as a mentor and tend to be very receptive to their input.

A high school girl would love a bit a side money which is what I usually did and whenever there was a (you are a parent so we need someone objective) decision i was up in the air on I went with their input.

I understand about volunteering but often these ladies have jobs to pay for gas, clothes or eating out with friends so I usually paid them and/or had parents chip in. It also makes them more committed too.

It was never a bad experience when I did this. In fact my girls do it now as they just did a fall team. Reach out to HS coach if you don’t have any contacts.

CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
Whichever way you go don't underestimate how important this decision is. Having a cohesive coaching team is really important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802