Assistant Coach interviews...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2013
Im the head coach of a middle school softball team and tomorrow I will be sitting in on the interviews of potential assistant coaches with my AD and varsity head coach. I have never been apart of an interview before. Any advice as to what I should be looking for in a potential assistant. What are some questions you would be asking? Thanks in adavnce for any and all suggestions.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
1. Why do you want to be an assistant coach on this team?
2. What is your prior coaching experience?
3. What age level were the girls you coached before?
4. Have you ever played fastpitch softball and at what level?

Kind of the basics...I'm sure others will have more detailed questions...but remembering this is middle school (12-15?) you're talking about, it shouldn't be the same as someone trying to get the Team USA job...JMHO...

Feb 16, 2013
1. Why do you want to be an assistant coach on this team?
2. What is your prior coaching experience?
3. What age level were the girls you coached before?
4. Have you ever played fastpitch softball and at what level?

Kind of the basics...I'm sure others will have more detailed questions...but remembering this is middle school (12-15?) you're talking about, it shouldn't be the same as someone trying to get the Team USA job...JMHO...
yea, 12-14 yr olds. ive never been on this end of an job interview so its all appreciated.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I only ask my assistant coaches one thing and reinforce its the most important question, "can you handle parent complaints well"? Once they answer "yes", I say "great because I don't, and that's your job from now on". :)

AC=all complaints

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
AC = complaint department for sure. I have told both the head coaches I have worked under to send all complaining parents to me. I always listen but does not mean I will comply. Next question is how tough is your skin and will you stand your ground for the good of the team.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Im an AC for varsity sb... basically, its my job to do whatever the HC wants. Period. No questions. We have to be on the exact same page fundamentally. And that page is his page. So to answer your initial question. You should be looking for a leader who knows how to follow you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12