ASA's ep rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2009
Can some please explain the rule for an EP in ASA fastpitch. I've read the rule book but the EP is not covered for fastpitch.
Thanks, 1999coach

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
That's an easy one to explain.

There's a good reason why you couldn't find an explanation of the Extra Player (EP) option for fastpitch. The EP is not used in ASA fastpitch softball! The EP rule applies only to the slow pitch game.

Jan 15, 2009
Local rules can always modify the national rules, but then it's the responsibility of the body doing the modifying to explain the rules and their effects (in this case it looks like ASA SC would have to give you the ruling. It's no different than putting a time limit on a game. ASA doesn't cover time limits and it's up to whomever puts the time limit on to decide if it's no new inning time, drop dead time, revert to last complete inning, etc ....

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Well I knew I coudn't find it in the rule book but our local ASA events allow for the EP's in fastpitch, here's the link A.S.A. of Upstate South Carolina: 2010 Schedule .
So what do you do in this situation?
Thanks, Allen

What I would do is: 1) Contact the folks holding the tournament and ask them to clarify how they interpret this non-standard rule; 2) Confirm it with the umpires at your games, before your games.

I'd love to be able to give you a definite answer on how they handle this. When a tourney comes up with their own rules, that aren't in the rule book, your guess is as good as mine as to what exactly they have in mind. Without knowing for sure, I hate to "assume". If you can assume this will work similar to the slow pitch EP rule, you could list two extra batters in your line-up. Those two batters could play any defensive positions, rotating in and out during the game without being charged as a substitution.

But that is just a guess!

Jan 13, 2009
Being very familiar with Carolina fastpitch, BretMan is right on point.

You can designate up to two additioanl players as EP's on your line up (batting 11 total). These EP's may play any defensive position without penalty of a substitution.

See it regularly in NSA, see it in ASA only in showcases or other non-regulation events

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28