ASA vs NSA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
B teams play B teams from other leagues, thus they travel to do so. They do not play intra-league games. I'm not sure why you would think that an ASA 10U TB B team is an oxymoron.

Most ASA B teams are better then ASA A teams at the 10U level, due to the nature of daddy ball at that age group and the fact that B teams must participate in league play. . . getting more real playing time.

-W

May 8, 2012
I know there are other travel programs/teams she can play with. However, my DD has been playing with her travel ball team for past 2 years. She does not want to play for another city/team. I decided last night that I am no longer going to fight this issue and just wait until next year for her to play :( However, I am very disappointed in all the behind the scenes politics that we as parents get penalized for when we speak up and voice our opinions. What upsets me most is that my DD is ultimately the one affected by this "rule". The President of our TB program advised me that his hands were tied and that I if I got the ASA Commissioner's confirmation or OK that she can play NSA ball and be placed on roster, then he was OK with it. Now, that I discovered our 10U TB Team is playing nothing but NSA tournaments and I went through all the proper channels (ASA & NSA) to ensure that it would not be a problem for her to be eligible to play NSA, our Pres of TB is now stating that it's out of his hands...WTH? I finally realized it came down to a personal issue between him and I. At this point, no one is taking the "player" into consideration. My question to them now is why and for who are they doing this for? Ultimately, this age group of players should be about them and not all of these stupid politics. It's ashame because my DD has the talent and drive to play TB in her age group and because she chose to play other sports during rec ball season, she is now being penalized.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
B teams play B teams from other leagues, thus they travel to do so. They do not play intra-league games. I'm not sure why you would think that an ASA 10U TB B team is an oxymoron.

Most ASA B teams are better then ASA A teams at the 10U level, due to the nature of daddy ball at that age group and the fact that B teams must participate in league play. . . getting more real playing time.

-W

Again, an ASA B team members are required to play in the same league. Here is ASA's definition of a Class B team:

d. Girls’ Class B Fast Pitch. Teams and players who participate in
Class A tournaments, or higher, that lead to a National Championship
Finals, shall not be eligible to participate in the Class B competition.
Girls’ Class B teams must be made up of players who participate in the
same league.

I consider it an "oxymoron" as these teams are comprised of league players as opposed to travel ball players, many of which do not participate in a local league. A league may be a different thing in different areas. In my area, league players play only in the league, maybe an occassional tournament, but more often than not relatively local (50 miles). Meanwhile, the travel team practicies during the week and travels each weekend to many non-local tournaments.

IOW, league team = local team, not travel ball. Travel team = team with players from anywhere in the country which do not play league ball, but travel every weekend.

However, as previously noted, many have taken the B designation as a level of skill, not necessarily the hometown league concept.

Mar 11, 2009
Here in AZ at 12u alot of USSSA and then TCS. Some ASA. Most of the A club teams want to qualify for PGF nationals(in Cali), then ASA(in Illinois this year) followed by TCS(Park City Utah this year)

Jun 21, 2010
There are alot of ASA tournaments on the east side of Washington State. In fact, our team will play in 8 out of ten tournaments on the east side, with the National Qualifier on the west side--the only time we cross the mountains. NSA state is always on the east side. Different age groups for ASA state are on different sides of the mountains. To be honest, I haven't really noticed a big difference on how the tournaments are run by either organization.

One thing I do like about NSA is how you can know where a tournament is being played and who who has signed up. Washington ASA has a .xls file you have to d/l and the info is sparse. Two years ago there was very little info about where 10U ASA state was to be held. Nothing on their website. I finally contacted the director to get the info we needed so we could make our hotel reservations in advance.

3sDad

We've attended the NSA East WS before...
If NSA bought us plane tickets and paid all expenses, motel, food, rental cars....
and gave us walking around cash...we still wouldn't go...
Most disorganized WS tourney Ive ever been to ..., with the most biased umps I have ever seen...:(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee