ASA playing requirements for A player wanting to play on B team this summer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 24, 2009
12U B team in Northern California

Our league has a 12U girl who has played on an A team this spring but now wants to play on a B team this summer. She got a lot of playing time on the A team, but wants to play with her friends on the B team this summer. She will return to the A team in the Fall.

Does anybody know if ASA has any specific player requirements to allow this switch?

May 13, 2008
I believe the "A" player is locked into that A roster and cannot play down for the remainder of this year. Especially if she wants to return to the A team later.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Why do I keep thinking "ringer alert"?

The rules about division hopping apply to ASA championship play. Did your DD participate in a tournament from which the winner or the winner and other selected teams could advance to higher levels of play of ASA? E.g. did she play in a national qualifier or an area championship?

If so, then she is stuck at the A level and cannot play "in championship play" for a B team. If she didn't, then she can play for a B team.

Northern Cal. JO Handbook

May 18, 2009
We have a girl going through the same thing only her A team kind of imploded. The coaches got into a verbal altercation that escalated when a coach grabbed a bat and wanted to take it to the parking lot. Because this young girl was on an active A roster they won't let her play for an all star B team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The coaches got into a verbal altercation that escalated when a coach grabbed a bat and wanted to take it to the parking lot.

Integrity, leadership, teamwork--that is what you get out of softball.

Mar 24, 2009
Not my DD

Hi Sluggers,

I appreciate your comments on this and practically every other post that I read!

The girl mentioned is not my DD. My DD enjoys softball...but, will never play at the A level. She has her Dad's love of the game...but, unfortunately, she also has the same "skill" gene!

As always, thanks for your input.

Jun 6, 2009
I would just add that if you switch organizational governing bodies you could go to B. As an example, if this player was playing on an ASA A team that did play a qualifier, for ASA play she is locked into A but she could switch to a NSA,USSSA,AFA, etc B team. My daughter used to do this,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802