Arm Strength

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I missed the point about her being 8U...My DD is 14 and had hit a plateau, so we introduced the weighted ball. She works with a ball that is 2 oz heavier than regulation, a regualtion ball, and a ball that is 2 oz lighter than regulation. 10 reps each going from heavy (75% strength) - regulation (100% strength) - to light (100% strength) AFTER thoroughly warming up with the regulation. It has helped out with her velocity.

I certainly would not condone this action for an 8U player...like I said, I missed that slight crucial :)confused:) piece of info.

Your post is why details matter. What is good for a 14U DD is not good for an 8U DD. Prior to complete physical development weights can be very risky. After they are fine if not overused. That is why I think you got the ignore this guy post. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
She is 8. Her future might be in soccer, or track, or swimming, or volleyball... other then playing catch at age 8 there is nothing I would do to "build" arm strength.

BTW my dd is a lefty on her 14u team she is playing short when she isn't pitching and on her 18u team she catches when she isn't pitching. Don't pigeon hole your lefty, let her workout against anyone for any position. If she is the best if should be her spot. Anyone who thinks a HS kid has to be in a specific spot to impress a college coach is wrong, most kids on college teams probably didn't play the spot they have on the college team, if you don't think a college coach would look at a left handed HS SS, you are probably way off. Sure she might not play ss in college, but a coach would have to take a second look and consider what it took for a lefty to end up there on a HS or travel team.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
How are her mechanics? I could take a look at her throwing and evaluate her if you have video of her throwing. Let me know. We do a ton of video analysis on throwing and hitting at AB Athletic Development in Nashua, NH.

Here is an article I wrote with video of a girl who came to us for throwing. Her initial throwing video is brutal! We needed to clean up her mechanics big time. We also started her on a general strength training program. If you have any questions please email me at austin@abathletics.com

Talk soon.

Why Your Softball Players Have Elbow Pain: Wrist Flick Edition

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802