arm strength

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2008
I am currently working with a 14 U team. We have several of the girls who need to work on arm strength. They don't seem to have velosity on their throws. What can I do to help them develop a stronger throw??? Thanks!

May 12, 2008
I'd suggest understanding throwing first. Nyman's internet download of "Throwing for numbies" or something like that title is very good and he's been very good about following up quickly on emailing the password or key once it's paid for and down loaded. I'd further suggest searching on youtube for Alan Jaeger long toss. Study and follow that program. After you study a few of Jaeger's videos, I'd be happy to answer questions that will no doubt arise.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Long toss works. Maximize throwing mechanics using lower boday.

Best resource ever produced on throwing mechanics by Mike Candrea. Old classic but still the best softball video I have seen on such a fundamental topic.

It's called Throwing Mechanics and only available in VHS but worth it:
http://www.candrea.com/pages/pro.html

Other wise, you can do what we call overload and underload.

Here is the protocol:

Purpose: To increase throwing velocity
Instructions:
1. Ensure proper warm-up before you start this protocol
2. Do this protocol early in a regular softball training session
3. Every throw is an all-out throw
4. Like anything, stop if any pain.
5. Don’t go heavier than 8.5 oz.
This protocol takes about 10 minutes to do and needs to be done twice a week to be effective.
Equipment:
• 5.5 oz softball
• Regular softball
• 8.5 oz softball
Protocol:
2 cycles of:

- 8 pitches with 6.5 oz ball
- 8 pitches with 8.5 oz ball
- 8 pitches with 5.5 oz ball
Take a 2 minute break between each cycle.

For the balls that you need for that, the best ones are:
http://www.amazon.com/WORTH-WEIGHTED-SOFTBALLS-SET-3/dp/B00078BP7M

May 28, 2008
I'd suggest understanding throwing first. Nyman's internet download of "Throwing for numbies" or something like that title is very good and he's been very good about following up quickly on emailing the password or key once it's paid for and down loaded. I'd further suggest searching on youtube for Alan Jaeger long toss. Study and follow that program. After you study a few of Jaeger's videos, I'd be happy to answer questions that will no doubt arise.

WOW..........videos were amazing as well as educational.
The long toss was amazing........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee