Arm speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am asking for my team. They are 9 and are still guiding the ball. I am looking for new tricks.
Parents aren’t helping. Girls miss practice.. Same old stuff.
I would like to measure arm speed.

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I do it 2 different ways. One way from a standing arm circle drill (no legs - could even be kneeling if you want) and use the radar. The second way is on video using the stopwatch in Hudl Technique or on Kinovea

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I do it 2 different ways. One way from a standing arm circle drill (no legs - could even be kneeling if you want) and use the radar. The second way is on video using the stopwatch in Hudl Technique or on Kinovea

This ^..
Some people don't like knee drills...but a tall kneeling stance trying to keep the hips still...allows them to work single plane ball path, arm quickness, brush, posture and it is a core/torso workout. Put them side by side to compete with each other on "quickness w no hip movement" into a net.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Thanks all. We are first year 10u. We are facing 11 year olds that qualify for 10 years old. I encourage them to throw harder, when they start getting discouraged. They are slowing down and guiding the ball, instead.
One reflection, on this season - I had to realize that my granddaughter is not the same athlete that my daughter is. I even mixed up their names, one practice.
I do like the Paula site and I will try knee drills.
The “pitchers’’ came to me slapping their hip. They loved that. I made them change. An 8u coach had taught it. I think they loved the guy, but he is not a pitching coach.

Nov 29, 2009
You can have them do what I call the 3 circle drill. Have them stand in the open position with their feet slightly more than shoulder width apart. Tell them you want them to make 3 continuous circles toward the plate. Each circle being faster than the last. Have them count. one, TWO, THREEEE to match the increased effort needed to speed the arm up. Do this with no ball. What you want them to feel is their finger tips starting to tingle because the centrifugal force is pushing the blood to their finger tips. Then do the same drill with a ball. Tell them you are NOT worried about them throwing a strike, rather, throwing the ball hard. Let them know it's OK if they throw the ball over the backstop. This drill gets them used to accelerating arm through the circle.

After that start them pitching doing incremental distance increases for long toss. Once they've reached their max physical distance bring them back to the pitching rubber and have them throw from there. Again, tell them not to worry about throwing a strike. Just THROW the cover off of the ball. Most times the pitch will be high. That's normal. I had a 10yr old who could easily throw the ball to the plate from 100'. She was an exceptional athlete, but it can be done.

It's something they need to keep working on so they get comfortable with increasing their performance range. Make sure the parents understand what the purpose of the drill is. Once their performance level is raised then work on the release point because it's changed with increased arm speed..

Most kids will show an improvement. And there are those who do not posses any quick twitch muscle fiber and never improve. I've had a couple of them.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This may be a dumb comment or question, but is it necessary to focus on arm speed at this level vs making sure the mechanics are there? If you practice whipping the arm around a circle with no brush, isn't that promoting an incorrect arm path? Again, i could be missing something and way off base, but i think at the younger age things like that come secondary to proper technique.

Looking back at the journey with my DD, the arm circle progressed in speed along with improved form, drive mechanics and strength she got from just being older. It seemed to me it was only a focus with HE coaches.

Sorry if i am off base on this.

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I would say timing the arms with the legs is most important. But it's really to each instructor what they thing would improve the student. There are some younger students that I would say improved timing & drive by having them practice faster arm circles with no ball. The faster they moved the arm the more they pushed out. The arm circle became smoother and naturally led into I/R. Not saying that's the case with every student. But I wouldn't say that arm speed shouldn't be worked on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog