Arm circle question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Honestly what you see more times than not is more of a locked arm usually in conjunction with HE mechanics and hand behind the ball type teaching.

That's why I'm really interested to see what she looks like I used 45 degrees as a reference point because after some quick video study I don't see elite pitchers with more of a bend than that...as above post states Amanda is pretty spot on and typical of what elite pitcher do...some bend a little more and some a little less but this is a good reference point..

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Honestly what you see more times than not is more of a locked arm usually in conjunction with HE mechanics and hand behind the ball type teaching.

That's why I'm really interested to see what she looks like I used 45 degrees as a reference point because after some quick video study I don't see elite pitchers with more of a bend than that...as above post states Amanda is pretty spot on and typical of what elite pitcher do...some bend a little more and some a little less but this is a good reference point..

@djcarter1966 Make sure her arm is relaxed and just throw... "long-n-loose"... the bend (the lag-flex) should happen naturally.

Also, have her also "pull-down with her lat muscles" during her arm-circle @ around 1

Once she gets the timing down... this will help to increase whip/speed... and using her lats will keep her arm on track during the IR release phase.

Hope this makes sense eh!

Nov 8, 2018
here is a video of my DD pitching this weekend.

I would suggest that you start searching online for 'images' of some D1 pitchers that you have seen on TV. I think you would be surprised at how bent a lot of their arms are. Here is a picture of Gabbie Plain. I came across this while searching for pitchers who replant, the topic came up in the Illegal Pitch thread. Plain replants, check out her arm bend.

Also, better off with too much bend than too straight.

What does replant mean?

Nov 8, 2018
Welcome to the Forum Billy. I am by no means an expert but I'll give it a go.

1) to give you an accurate answer the guys here that really know will need a video. Take a side shot, host it on Youtube and you will get your answer pretty quickly.

2) There should be some bend at the elbow. Without video, it will be difficult to tell you if it is too much or too little.

3) Start reading the sticky posts at the top of this forum. Start with IR in the Classroom. Lots of great information there. You should read the whole thing, but.... GO to page 18 or 19. Sluggers posted a few GIFs and you can see Finch and Pauly with a slightly bent arm.

Good luck. You will learn a lot here if you stick around.
Ok, I put a video of her on YouTube. Had to open a YouTube account, sorry took a while.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If you look at the picture of Plain you will see her back foot is in the air a little, she will replant that foot on the ground and push off again. Some pitchers will drag the foot and still replant then push off again. There is a lot of debate about it. Kelly Barnhill is the best example of the replant. Find a slo-mo video of her and you'll get the idea.

From what I could see your daughter's arm bend looks fine. The view of her arm is blocked when she comes down the back side and it looks from her hand position like she might not have the elbow leading the whole way. But it's not clear.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I think you need to look a little upstream as to why her posture and arm are doing what they are doing. I'd bet if you could fix the legs more the arm will fall in line more. The last couple frames of the pitch wouldn't pull up for me for some reason.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812